Cheese Making Questions.....

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by HollowbeadRanch, Oct 12, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok... I have TONS of questions!

Non of my Nigi girls have ever been milked, and I don't own a milking stand.... so I had thought about purchasing some milk from a local Nubian farm to try making cheese... what do you think? Do you know any good EASY recipes for beginners? How hard is cheese to make? Any pointers? Can the milk be from frozen or is it better fresh? How long will the cheese keep? Any good recipe books you could recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I had thought I might give the lady a call next week and see how much she would charge me for a couple of gallons.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well, I would reccomend making cheese. Depending on what kind of cheese depends on how difficult it is. I don't remember any recipes off hand because it's been so long. In Indiana we can't buy/sell goat milk except buying from stores of course.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Brandy, I have a book I got from Hoeggar Goat supply...titled...Goats Produce Too. It has so many easy recipes for cheese and lots of other things made from goat milk.

I have used fresh as well as frozen milk for cheesemaking...not a problem.

I would suggest though that you have a milk stand built and work with your girls, the benefits of your own goats milk is much cheaper and better than buying from someone ele...especially if you have your own little "milk machines" And this way ,your goats are providing for their "keep".
    The book mentioned was bought with a beginners cheese making kit..I think it cost $45.00 for the book, ladle,rennet,cheesecloth,starter cuture and 4 chevre molds. Great deal as the cost of getting all those neccessities separatly is much more.

Heres the link
    http://www.thegoatstore.com

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    Heat milk till skim appears. Add vinegar---let set. When curds appear---strain. Presto---cottage cheese.

Just heat a gallon of milk to hot but not boiling. Remove from heat, add about 1/4 c vinegar and let sit overnight.
    Strain through cheesecloth, throw in a little salt & you have cheeeeze!!

5. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks everyone!

Thank Liz! I am going to go look at that right now!

Yes, when I rebuild my herd next Spring I plan on having a milking stand (my hubby has all of these ideas for all of these things he is going to build me.... the trick will be getting them all done :roll: but he means well :wink: ). I can't wait! I have been wanting to give milking a try ever since I got my girls last year, but just haven't had the time since we had so many. Now that I am being forced to sell out temporarily, I plan on having everything in order where I can do exactly as I want next Spring AND my herd won't be as big. The last of my girls are being picked up this weekend and then I will be goatless until next year :sigh:

Anyways, I am going to take a look at the book you recommended, AND that starter kit :wink: Thank you so much!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  7. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you! :thumb: Tomorrow I plan on ordering the kit Liz referred to. I spoke to the lady with the Nubians today and she has plenty of milk on hand, so I am going to go pick some up next week... I can't wait to get started :leap:

8. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i made butter
    (put a pint of heavy cream in the food processor and a pinch of salt at the end)
    i am making vinegar cheese
    i am making caramel dipping sauce
    i am making soap!
    soap stayed orange-ish
    so i added an orange-ish scent
    tomorrow night i will use indian fruit
    wed nite i work til 10 :sigh:
    thurs i will use cinnamon
    fri i don't know...
    lol
    i think i can get about 6 bars but i won't know how much they will weigh til i cut them
    (but i have to use store milk for now :sigh: :sigh: )

9. Did you freeze your milk before adding the lye?

10. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    it wasn't frozen
    i was too impatient
    :greengrin:
    it was slushy tho

11. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Since I don't have my recipe book yet... how much milk does it normally take to make cheese? Also, how long will the milk keep when frozen?

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I still have a few gallons in the freezer from my girls "peak"...still tastes fine and still works for cheese....most reipes for cheese do call for a minimum of 2 quarts to 2 gallons.....frozen milk will separate so I found it best to thaw at room temp or in a water bath then shake the heck out of it to get the solids back into the liquids. The longest I have had milk frozen was almost a year...was still fine.

13. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks Liz! I was trying to decide how many Gallons of milk I want to buy... :shrug:

AND I just ordered the kit! It's called "The Cheesmaker's Pantry", does that sound like the one you got? It was $45.50 plus shipping and handling. This is everything it includes:

#1- Goats Produce Too, the 136-page book with clear, easy-to-follow instructions on using both goat and cow milk for everything from cheese making to soap making.
    #2- Liquid rennet (the coagulant that makes the milk into cheese).
    #3- Citric powder (the secret ingredient that makes the Mozzarella cheese stretchy).
    #4- Buttermilk culture for making your own starter.
    #5- Two square yards of REAL cheesecloth (the kind the store sells is gauze, not cheesecloth!).
    #6- A high quality cheese making thermometer.
    #7- Four Chevre Molds (to give your cheese that professional look).
    #8- Stainless steel skimmer.

I can't wait to get it here and give it a try!!! BTW it meantioned that the book includes soap making recipes... have you tried any of them?

14. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok.... I realize that this is probably going to sound really, REALLY stupid... but being a beginner to the cheese making and all (and have never actually been able to milk any of my own goats, other than to give to kids that aren't nursing) I have a few rather silly questions :doh: so please don't laugh too hard :oops:

#1- When doing this (soaps, cheeses, etc.) do I use raw milk?
    #2- If not, what exactly do I have to do to the milk, or will it tell me all of that in the book that comes with my kit?
    #3- I guess I need to ask the seller if the milk he sells is raw milk or not... right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! When it comes to this, I am a COMPLETE green horn! :doh:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've always used raw milk....pastuerized just tastes yucky...sand I'm glad you got that kit..same one I got and I've tried just about every recipe in it.

16. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yeah! Ok, as soon as I get it I will post all of my experimentations!

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The easiest to start with is the "chevre" and it uses buttermilk to start it!!

18. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    K, thanks! I wanted to try that and mozzarella first :wink:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The mozzarella done with the citric acid is soooo easy, though I do find that it doesn't have much flavor til i'ts salted.

20. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks for the tips! I am sure that as soon as my kit gets here I will have TONS of questions! I am hoping that it will be here the beginning of next week :leap: