The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on where to buy an inexpensive cheese press? I have searched for making your own and it looks like a headache. I am a beginner as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I'm not sure they are inexpensive but Hoegger sells them. Have you looked at all the cheese making websites?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the cheese press from Hoeggers. 125.00 .. It works ok. You cant do more than 4 gallons or about 4 lbs of cheese in it. Some of the cheese books require you to use 4 gallons of milk when making. I dont like the fact that its a formica bottom. And I always have to sit it on something when the cheese draining because of the wood feet. It gets kind of gross, but it works good. You can upgrade and buy SS molds. I bought the pressure gauge for it but some how have lost it (a mere 70.00!). I like the fact that this is small and it stores above my fridge pretty easy! I have seen other styles that are big and seem like they would work great, but take up so much room! And are more expensive..

I found this model and its some what like the Hoeggers
This cheese press seems ok.... It holds 6 gallons. I have not used it.

·
1,524 Posts
Check out New England Cheese making supply. They have a couple of different types and directions for a very simple one. I am going to be getting the directions to build that one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been wanting to do more with my goats milk.. I make butter, now mt next goal is to work on making cheese. But I have to wait until I can buy a starter kit. But the other day I came across the easy recipe for making Queso blanco.. and I'm eager to start. But I don't have cheesecloth on hand. I read that I can use a cloth cotton T-shirt. Can I use my son's cotton undershirt and cut it into a square?
Also, I read to let this cheese hang for 4-5 hours. But how is it that it doesn't go bad.. spoil, being that it's a dairy product?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Any cotton cloth is okay. Just make sure it is clean.;) I use diapers made with organic, unbleached cotton.
Dairy products made from fresh, raw milk can set out without spoiling. Yogurt has to incubate 8-10 hours. It takes a whole day or more to make hard cheeses. You do want to handle it carfully to prevent outside contamination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts