The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another handy tip - using chemical tote frames for hay feeders. My neighbor is a big farmer and gave me a bunch of old chemical totes. I took the tanks out and use the metal frames for feeders. We only have round bales, so I fork a mixture of brome, sudan, and alfalfa in the feeders and pick them up with my bale bed on my pickup and put them out in the goat pen for winter feeding. They work great. The holes are small enough the mature goats can't get their heads in, but have enough room to eat. The kids can get their head in, but haven't had one get "stuck" yet. It does waste a little hay, but they were free and are very handy.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,229 Posts
Another handy tip - using chemical tote frames for hay feeders. My neighbor is a big farmer and gave me a bunch of old chemical totes. I took the tanks out and use the metal frames for feeders. We only have round bales, so I fork a mixture of brome, sudan, and alfalfa in the feeders and pick them up with my bale bed on my pickup and put them out in the goat pen for winter feeding. They work great. The holes are small enough the mature goats can't get their heads in, but have enough room to eat. The kids can get their head in, but haven't had one get "stuck" yet. It does waste a little hay, but they were free and are very handy.
Do you have a pic of that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts