The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hooked on Goat Milk!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made chevre (fresh goat cheese) with a direct set culture last night and after leaving it overnight I found it about 1/2 inch ABOVE the whey the to was almost like you might find on yogurt, thick and almost dry. When I scooped out some it smelled ok, and the whey looks normal but the curd has barley sized holes throughout!

Here is what I did:
· used approx 2.5 gallons goat milk (oldest milk was 1 week old)
· all the milk was raw
· stirred milk and slowly heated it to 86 ish degrees (might have over shot by a coulee defers?)
· added two packets of chevre culture (New England cheese making- C20G) left on surface a few minutes to rehydrate, then stirred it in.
· left it over night as usual

One thing that was different than "normal" was that I used the broiler while the milk was testing (after I added the culture) which may have heated the milk above 90 degrees? I know that using the broiler makes the stove top surface pretty warm..

So what do I do with it? Should I go ahead and station it and use it? Could I have introduced another wild culture through contamination? (some of the milk I used was from last weekend when my DJ milked for me)

·
Hooked on Goat Milk!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We do bake, and I think our home is a magnet for molds... My last batch sat too long and also formed bubbles but tasted fine... I pasteurize the milk I use for yogurt because I make out with low-fat and it takes about ten days before the cream is all at the top... I figure by that time there's bound to be wild gremlins in there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts