Chevre starter needed?

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by PznIvyFarm, Sep 10, 2010.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    We have made the basic vinegar cheese and a mozzarella cheese. What we want is the creamy chevre cheese like they sell in the store. I was planning to get a starter, and thought about getting an actual kit to start (since they come with the molds usually) but when i went to Mr. Google, i found this

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/ansc442/Semprojs/2006/chevre/chevre.htm

And also this guy's page, which has a ton of recipes, but for one thing he has a blue cheese that looks really good (can you make blue cheese with goat's milk? I never heard of that)
    http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html

The thing i like is that he tries to create recipes using things people have at home already or can get at the store, not starters that you have to buy somewhere.

So, do i really need the chevre starter?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...I make it with cultured buttermilk. I like simple and easy.

3. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    It came out great. Now, what can i use as molds? I always see the cheese formed as little logs, but the chevre molds online look different - and when are they molded? The cheese hung in a cheesecloth bag overnight to 'drip dry' and is it put in the mold after that?

4. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought a starter from a company near me about a week ago. Little did I know, it was for dairy operations. One tablet is good for 50 LT of milk!! Did you end up using the cultured buttermilk? What recipe did you use?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you want to use molds...you put the curds directly into them, no hanging to drain.

Hoeggars Supply carries a beginners cheesemaking kit that also includes molds. I've also used those cheap plastic childrens cups from the dollar store and put holes all through them, they work pretty well as does those little tubs that margarine spreads come in.

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

I used the one at the first link i posted http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/ansc442/Semprojs/2006/chevre/chevre.htm

It was really easy. Unlike most of the recipes i've seen, it did not require the milk to be pasteurized first. It tasted really good. (past tense lol, it disappeared really fast) I didn't have quite 2 gallons of milk, i was a couple cups short, but i kept everything else the same measurements, and ended up with quite a bit of cheese - maybe 3 cups or so? (i should have measured it, or weighed it or something)

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm.... I use raw milk for all my cheeses...even with using buttermilk or yogurt for starter.