Chick beating up on the others!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by milkmaid, Feb 17, 2011.

1. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

We have a silver leghorn chick that goes around pecking the other chicks' eyes, biting them and yanking on them. Will this injure the other chicks? Will it eventually stop? My little sister is very upset about it. We've tried separating the one chick, but we have only one waterer, and I don't want to buy another for just one chick.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Keep the mean one out....it won't get better....only worse... get a mayonnaise lid....clean it and use it for water... :wink:

3. milkmaid

OK, thanks! We actually already separated it because it was pecking constantly.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem...good luck.... :thumb:

5. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    It's not likely to get any better... unless the others are smaller and eventually are the same size as the bully and can put her in her place. In my experience the aggressive ones have to be separated.

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I agree. If you really want to keep it you might be able to trim the top beak back just a little to minimize injuries but I don't know at what age I would recommend doing that.

7. milkmaid

Thanks all! Right now it's not a lot of trouble to keep her separated. We'll se when she gets older. If we can't keep her we may find someone who wants her. :)

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If it doesn't work.... tell her Kentucky Fried Chicken is looking for new recruits...maybe she'll calm down... :laugh:

Sorry I don't know anything about raising chickens, but I hope she settles and you won't have to part with her.

9. milkmaid

10. milkmaid

Well we separated her for a couple days, put her back and she's cured! :clap:

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    awww glad to hear it! I guess KFC will have to call on someone else! Haha...sorry I couldn't resist ;)

12. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Glad she's back with the rest of the flock! KFC LMAO! I had a rooster who was mean as sin we took him to grandpa's so he could be their din-din ....... needless to say the bird still live's and protect's granny when grandpa's gone!

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!!!!