Chicken lice

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Victoria, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Just picked up a few hens, not only are they cute, and sweet, but they appear to have lice.
    I noticed icky lookin eggs under the beaks on the feathery place. So I have dusted chickens before, but how the heck do I get the dust under the chins?

Also how long before I should let me other hens get with them??
    Thanks a bunch!!

2. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    When you have debugged before, did you hang the chicken upside down by its feet to get the feathers to all relax and then sprinkle the parasite prevention powder under the feathers? That is usually what we recommend. Also, the use of Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a good preventative measure. You can put it in a dust bath to keep the creepy crawlies away.
    I dont know how long you should wait to let them in with the other hens. I dont know enought about lice and mites to know how long the meds take to kill or if it just kill the adults. I think I'll look into that more thought. I'll let you know if I find anything usefull out. :)

3. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Nope, never hung them upside-down be for, i guess i will start then!
    Thank you for your help, i will look in to it to!

4. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    We hang them upside down by their feet. Dust away, usually we wait 2-3 days and recheck them to make sure we don't see any bugs. If you were really worried I don't see why you couldn't wait a week, just make sure you give a good inspection for anymore bugs. Also would check your chickens out too, just to make sure they don't have any either.