The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So those leg bands I bought from Jeffers turned out to be a bad idea. The plastic tip on the end dug into one of our girl's legs. I will be writing a negative review on those definitely.
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG

I don't think it looks infected, but it's got this big scab thing which is making kinda hard to clean and my sister saw her pick at it. My plan is to rinse and clean it and put Neosporin on it and then cover it in vetwrap and then repeat every day. What do you think of this plan and should i remove the scab?
She is probably the tamest chicken you'll every met. Her name is Darcy and she is just the sweetest thing. I have never seen anything like it. Didn't struggle or make a sound when i tended her leg. Just sat there blinking.
IMG_1586.JPG

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If you do happen to use neosporin please make sure it's NOT the kind with pain reliever. It can kill her. Regular neosporin is fine, though. Poor girl. I hope she gets better soon. I just love chickens.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I agree. I wouldn't wrap it. Put Blukote on it.
So just for learning purposes why wouldn't you wrap it.
If you do happen to use neosporin please make sure it's NOT the kind with pain reliever. It can kill her. Regular neosporin is fine, though. Poor girl. I hope she gets better soon. I just love chickens.
Yep just plain old Neosporin.
I didn't have any blukote so I put on the Neosporin. I am going out tomorrow hopefully we'll be able to get some.

·
Catharina
2,247 Posts
I belong to a chicken health Facebook group & the vets there really don't like Blu Kote because it contains alcohol which not only stings but kills the delicate exposed cells. They advise Neosporin without the added pain relief.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I belong to a chicken health Facebook group & the vets there really don't like Blu Kote because it contains alcohol which not only stings but kills the delicate exposed cells. They advise Neosporin without the added pain relief.
So what is your opinion on covering it or not? I'm worried that she's going to pick at the scab and reopen it without something to stop her from doing that.
I see the point of letting it breathe, though.

·
Super Moderator
83,696 Posts
I belong to a chicken health Facebook group & the vets there really don't like Blu Kote because it contains alcohol which not only stings but kills the delicate exposed cells. They advise neosporin without the added pain relief.
The vets there don't know much IMO.
I have been using it for years with no ill effect. The birds never react as if it hurt, no response at all.
It helps to dry the wound quickly so it heals and hides it so the others do not peck at it.

Now putting neosporin on it, keeps it moist and IMO is not good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts