chickens and goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citygoat, Jan 29, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    I was wanting to get some chickens. i was wondering if it was ok to keep chickens and goats together in the same pasture/pen.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can keep them together, but don't feed the chickens in something that the goats can get into.

And make sure the goats water buckets are out of reach of the chickens so that they don't get it all dirty (chickens somehow get poop in their water, dont ask me why they do it!).

This is how i would do it if I had to mix them.

Get a creep feeder (or make one) so that the goats couldn't get ot the chicken feed but the chickens could.

Then for the water put the goats water up in hooks so teh chickens couldnt' reach it.

Place the chickens water sort of in the same way as you did the creep feeder.

Others may have some good suggestions but that is how I figured that I would do it if put in that situation.

3. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    very smart stacey, my pygmy/nig cross girl always finds her way out of fence and into the chicken pens, Also I have learned that goats can go right through "chicken wire"

4. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    But my chickens are free range exept at night , they are locked in a coop, but they go in and out of all the pens and even snab some free goat chow.

5. bee_pipes

bee_pipes New Member

They do it just as a matter of course - chickens get poop in everything. If they can stand on their feeder, they will poop in that too.

About the only way to keep them from getting poop in their food and water is to set the feeder and waterer up as high as their backs and set it up so they can't perch on them. We've had a lot of luck with a hanging feeder. We eventually stopped putting out a waterer - the turkeys would knock the water out of it, they freeze in the winter and were a nusiance to refill. We don't have electric or water going to the chicken house. But we do have a creek next to the chicken house. They don't eat or drink after dark, so only do without water for a short period of time. I have made wire creep feeders for chicks, to keep the adults out of their medicated feed and have water out for them all the time. The trick there is to set them up somewhere where the adults can't perch on them (and poop in the food and water).
    [​IMG]

Usually the sun's on the ground in our hollow by 8:30. I figure with the sun on the ground, most of the night time predators have gone back to bed. We turn the chickens loose and the first thing they do is head for the creek. After everyone gets a drink, they all move up to the the hill behind the house, where the sun hits the ground first.

The creep feeders are a good idea to keep the goats out of the chicken food. The biggest problem I would think would be keeping the chickens out of the goat's food. In particular - keeping them out of the hay. I have a couple of bales of straw by the compost bins, and that is the chicken's favorite place to play. They love scratching through the straw, and will sometimes lay eggs back there.

Anybody had problems keeping them out of the goat shed? I could see them hanging out on the milking stand and other places...

In the chicken house I have put up frame walls and covered them with chickenwire to keep them out of straw used for bedding and off of the feed barrel. Might need the same thing to keep them out of the work area behind the goat pen... Wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing - I could see squirrels and raccoons getting in there too....

Regards,
    Pat

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Chickens do great with goats. I put 10 in with mine, hens, roos, all ages and they are fine. Lots of different breeds too. At first I had a big problem. All the chickens roosted over the goat grain feeder and every morning half the feeder was full of poop! I was so mad. So I fixed it. I made the chickens some roosts away from the feeder and I put a board over the old roosting spot so it isn't good for roosting any more. The chickens fly over the barn divider where I have a bowl of food and a heated water. It works really well. Sometimes the chickens ride on the sheep! It is so cute. Sometimes they poop on them too! But it is much better than having them all in seperate pens and having to clean all the time and break ice out.

7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    We have two ducks in with the goats and they all get along fine. The goats sleep up on tables or on their "goat bed" and the ducks sleep in one of the stalls. The last few days it has been so cold here I didn't let anyone out of the barn so I had to spend alot more time cleaning up after the ducks. Hopefully spring will come soon!!

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We keep our chickens separate from our goats because our chickens like to dig holes in the wet areas of the goat pen :roll: We free range our chickens, but we keep them out of the goat pens because we dont' like them digging up the straw.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Chickens. They don't care where they poop either. I finally seperated them cause of chicken poop in the goats water. And eggs and poop in the hay feeders.
    Chickens have their own water in their house, but prefer to drink out of muck filled holes. More power to em. :shrug: