chickens & goats sharing digs

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 28, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....I am new to this wonderful goat world and unexperienced, though I have read so much info over the past year before taking the leap in their world.....I still feel so loss. Anyway, my question goats and chickens are sharing the same yard right now until my husband gets home this their anything my goats could catch by being in the same yard and walking where the chickens poop? My chickens are healthy to my knowledge, I use food grade DE in my barnyard and coops and barns.....I have been told it is a great natural wormer, so I always put in in their feed. I know I am just worrying myself silly, but I keep reading about all these illnesses and it makes me worry.....from pink eye, cocci, bloat, ect.......the man I bought them from had a very nice facility and his herd appeared very healthy...he told me that the vet had just been out and wormed and gave yearly shots....but, once we got home I found lice on one.....which I treated both kids with 5% sevin wouldn't you think that the vet would have seen the lice? I also do not know what shots they received....I didn't think to ask.....I just figured like my dogs they get yearly, I do know that they did not get the one for overeating, he says he never gives that to his goats. We had planned on waiting until spring to get goats, but then these just happened upon us and we couldn't say no.
    Thanks for reading my ramblings and any advice is appreciated.......Denise from Indiana
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    the only thing I would worry about is the goats eating the chicken feed especially if it drops on the ground.

Make sure there is water available that the chickens cant get to --- chickens love to dirty their water and that can be deadly to young kids.

It probably was their tetanous shot

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am keeping the chickens feed up during the day right now, letting them have it at night and morning while still in coops.....the chickens forage right now so much that they are not eating much layer.......I have been going out and changing all waterers about 3 times a day......I am sticking close to home right now while goats are getting adjusted. So if all they got was tetnus, what could they be lacking?
    Thanks, Denise
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine get a yearly booster for Enterotoxemia and tetanus (CD/T) I've not done any other type of vaccination, this is for tetanus and "overeating disease"
    As far as the lice you found, you could have dusted the kids with the DE you have on hand.....and as Stacey said...the main thing to worry about would be the goats drinking from water pails that the chickens have dirtied and you have done well by keeping the chicken feed out of reach...most parasites that live on chickens don't care too much for goats and the same goes for coccidia...same name but there are different types that are species specific...goats won't get chicken cocci but it is still a good idea to keep their feed and hay off the ground. :greengrin:
  5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I keep my goats with poultry without any issues. :)

The goats have a tall bucket they can drink out of, but the chickens can't really get at, and the goats won't touch the chicken water or the pond for the goslings and ducks even if they were dieing of thirst.

The goat hay is also high enough the chickens don't get on it; its a free-for-all when the goaties drop some of the ground, the little geese especially love it. Same goes for their ration of pellets, while the poultry feed is spread all over the ground twice a day in lots of places and is eaten immediately while the goats are occupied with their own food.

Plus the goats deter flying predators. Or at least I pretend! It works for me.
  6. foot

foot New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Hi and welcome to the wonderfu world of goats. We have boar goats and free range bantams. We do not vaccinate our goats. Some do and some dont what ever works. We have not had a sick goat in six years with the exception of the ones we brought home to nurse to health. We try to treat homeopathically. The chickens free range eating bugs and bits of hay and feed the goats may drop. We dont supplement their feed and have heard it is not good for goats. We give fresh water dailey and the chickens may jump up and drink from the goats bucket or dogs bucket but we've not had a problem We did get rid of they can turn a bucket of water bad in seconds. the chickens tend to keep the goat area free of bugs and we have one that thinks she is a goat and sleeps and eats and grazes along side of her best goat friend. So dont worry be happy and enjoy your friends. What works for us may not work for you but simply paying close attention to your pets and watching for any signs that they are not happy and making certain they have fresh water and hay they will be good to you. Chickens and goats make fine room mates in my opinion ...wait until you see one sitting on the goats back : )

Good luck...foot...
  7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yeppers, chicken and goat parasites are species specific. My goats & chickens are together most of the day...chicken feed is unaccessable to goats, very important!
    The only thing I dont like is when I put down fresh straw for the goats... the chickies come running from miles around to scratch through and leave their droppings which invarably the goats lay down on. :GAAH:
  8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh are so right about the chickens messing up the goats straw......I have put fresh straw down every night for the goats since they came home.....we are planing on seperating them this week....we have new fencing to get up....but watching the goats and the chickens together is quite entertaining and comical.
  9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, it is pretty funny watching our chickens with the pygmy does! We have a bantam hen named Sweetie (interesting because she is not sweet at all, she's kind of mean) anyways, she loves to peck my goats ears! Only when they are in her way or something, she doesn't do it all the time. It's kind of funny, the goats don't even really notice it. :) I've posted this pic once before but here it is again, I think it's too funny. We did not put this bag on her head, this was all Dotti! :ROFL:
  10. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I plan to keep chickens with my goats when I get some chickens. The chickens would be good because they will scratch around in the goats bedding and eat any little nasties in there and also they will help keep the bedding dry by keeping it mixed up well. The chickens will have access to the goat area, but the goats won't have access to the chicken area... actually my rabbits will be with my chickens and will keep that bedding mixed and dry also, but again the goats won't have access, only the chickens will.
  11. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sep 15, 2010
    North Alabama
    I have a question. What about miniature goats with chickens? Our chickens dirty the goat's water, and then the goats won't drink it. But a bucket too tall for chickens is also too tall for the Nigi kids. :?
  12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow this is an old thread LOL!

To answer your question, not sure. My chickens don't dirty the water at all. Your chickens must be evil ones
  13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hehe. My chickens are evil! Droppings in the goat water. Ugh!Big ole mashed chicken banure stains on white coats. Double ugh!! And pooping in the hay rack SUPER UGH!! I booted them out.
  14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well, since starting this thread some time goats and chickens are seperated now, I just couldn't take my goats walking and laying in chicken poop, chicken poop in the goats water and also trying to keep the goats out of the chicken's feed!.....they only share a fence row.
  15. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Our chickens like to ride around on the goat's backs when they are trying to get away from the rooster...and sometimes they poop on the goats! NASTY!

Other than that we don't have many issues with letting them share the same pen areas. The chicken do have their own coop to go into at night...I could not tolerate roosting on the hay racks!
  16. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Our goaties and chickens coexist also. Previous posters mentioned the goats not eatin the chicken feed=this is VERY can mess up their rumens if they eat too much, and the WILL if given the opportunity. Ohter than that I am not sure I would worry too much about anything else...ours get along quite nicely!
  17. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    My chickens and goats are fairly seperated, only one rooster gets in the pen now, he likes to... "pretend" the shorter goats are hens... if you get the idea...

Anyway, we're butchering a few more roosters, and this one is on the list. Soon we shouldn't have any problems with any chickens getting in with the goats.

I was really PO'ed when I put straw in the barn.. the chickens totally scratched it all OUT of the barn... **screams* They also eat the food of the goats... and of course the goats let them >.>

As for poop in the water,that has only happened a couple times, I water my goats in 5 gal buckets, so the chickens can't really get around on the rim too easily.