chickens with goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Jun 24, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Anyone have chickens and goats using the same yards? Any problems with that? The guy I got our nubian kids from says the chickens really keep the flies down.

2. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I don't keep the chickens in with the goats, but when I let them out of the coop they go down into the pasture on their own. They do help with the flies! :)

3. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Same as Tyler. The chickens and guineas share the yard, but they can't get into the pens in the barn. I haven't had any problems.

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I keep them together and have had no real issues. Had one chicke with a broke leg from a goat step, but I fixed it. :shrug: I seperate the chicken feed from the goats and the chickens lay their eggs where the goats dont step on em. I dont see many bugs in the goat area and when we clean the pen the chickens are right there to help. :greengrin:

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I couldnt stand chicken poop in the goat water tubs!!

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The only problem with chickens is that they poop on EVERYTHING. They like to perch on hay racks and water buckets and ruin the contents...they certainly help with bugs though...

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Nope.....can't handle the goats stepping in chicken poop and then climbing up on me! We had ours together for about 2wks and then no more!

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    EWW you are so right cdtrum! Or splotches of mashed chicken manure in their coats! And for some reason I dont mind getting smeared berries on my jeans.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Nancy d.....your so right.....I live with goat poop smeared on my jeans, shorts, jacket! My husband gets a big laugh out of when we get ready to run to town and half way there I realize I have goat poop on me and I have the hand sanitizer out with a napkin trying to get it off!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.........the poop is nasty...smelly and there gets to be alot of it... after a short while....no fun....what I did is.... I told DH.... the chickens have to go ...or please build me a chicken coop....so he did ...he build one for me.....we let them out in the evening ...there is less mess around the goats.....that way.... and they don't get into any grain...if we fed it earlier so it is gone...by the time they are let out.......if they find...the grain....when they are let out... that is the 1st place they will run .... :help: :doh:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    in the spring and fall our chickens run loose (no garden) and pretty muchpoop on anything valuable...i think they plan it...or pooping in front of the door so when you step outside--- smoosh! gross. :wink:
    sometimes i think i can hear them laughing.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL . :ROFL: ..I know ....or grabbing the shovel or wheel barrow with your hands...and plop ....you feel that wet ...on your hand and oops there comes the smell ....then comes the cursing words.....it is so gross........ I think your right... Katrina....they plant bombs.... :wink: