Chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Nupine, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I didn't see a chicken thread. So I made one. Post anything Poultry! I also have some for sale in Ohio.

2. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Cool, I like this site more everyday-no rules about what kind of topics or posting weblinks!

I have a mix of black and white silkies-plus one blue roo, to produce the blue color. I don't have any chicks or adults for sale, but I will have hatching eggs as soon as my bator is full.

I also have a trio of Ameracauna bantams, but they are running with some Self Blue OEG Bantam roos. Which brings me to my next point...

I have 5 Self Blue OEG Bantam roos, this years hatch for sale or trade. $5 each or will trade for eggs or chicks of silkie or Ameracauna Bantam type.

I had planned on breeding these too, b/c I really love the true breeding blue genetics, BUT, all my pullets drowned themselves in a water bucket while I was away. 6 pullets and NO cockerals drowned!

What do you have??

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have about 50 laying hens for eggs, and we raise 400 meat birds every summer on pasture and sell them to customers. It's a pretty good business. :D

4. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    That's a LOT of chicken! How do you brood them all?

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hi Sarah, we do the same thing with the meat chickens. Haven't done 400 yet though. We did a batch of 120 a few weeks ago. I agree, it's a pretty good business. Do ya'll use Cornish Crosses? We also have about 60 chickens for eggs.

6. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    how do you reach your customers? any rules/regs re:selling chickens for food?

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    The main regulations here in OK are just that the customers have to come here to the farm to pick them up. We've not had a problem selling them though even though our prices are higher than at the store. Some people realize all the stuff that is done to "store bought" chicken.

8. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    and how do people know about you--word of mouth, ads, ???

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    ksacres, we order all of our chickens, I couldn't imagine brooding that many!!
    Bethany, We tried the cornish x rocks, we hate them. They have so many leg problems and they don't get big drumsticks on them. We order chickens from the hatchery in PA, Reich Poultry Farm I think its called. We get a combo of two breeds, one is called Buff Silver Cockerels, and the other is Barred Silver Cockerels(they are the same breed just different colors) These chickens are BRED to grow on grass and they run all over the yard and eat bugs and grass, we don't use near as much feed on them. They also don't have any leg problems(out of 300 of these we raised this year, maybe 1 with leg problems) We are raising 100 extra cornishes because we oversold and are trying to fill orders. The cornishes don't grow near as fast as these other birds. The other birds dress out 4-6lbs at 9-10 weeks. And they have big thighs, drumsticks and really nice breasts and wings. You can only get them from the hatchery in PA and they are really worth it. We also get a special laying breed from them, they lay in the hot and the cold and are very consistent layers. PM me for the phone number.
    cute kids,
    In IL, I don't really know the laws for selling chickens, but I do know that they have to be taken to an inspected facility to be butchered. We take our chickens to a butcher(butchering sucks) For now, we are selling chickens to friends and milk customers, and everybody passes our name along by word of mouth. Once they taste our chickens, they tell EVERYBODY about us. We also plan on buying a portable freezer and taking chickens to farmers markets hopefully next year. For farmers markets, the meat just has to be kept at or below 41 degrees.
    Any other ?? feel free to ask!

10. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I just added 6 Polish chickens to my coop. 1 white capped black rooster. 2 hens the same color, 2 blue and 1 splash. I got them from a lady that shows them but she had too many. They are really funny looking, and funny to watch. I raise and sell guineas, and the guineas are just looking at the new chickens kinda funny. I will try to get a picture. The lady had a bunch of silkies she was getting ready for a show. I just can't imagine trying to bathe all those chickens.

11. ilroost

ilroost New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    weldon,il
    We have around 35 chickens we use for the eggs. We also raise turkeys and muscovy ducks

12. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    are the chickens and turkeys raised together, or must they be kept separate? how do you market your eggs?

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info Sarah, we will have to consider getting some from that place. Our Cornish crosses dressed out at 4-6 pounds at 8 weeks, we did have a few with leg problems, but not as many as the first time we did it. So you just let yours run free? We have 2 movable pens that we move around out in the pasture. And we do the butchering ourselves. We have a large family so we all work together and have alot of fun doing it. But it is alot of work. I do like the idea that the kind you get don't need as much feed, the cornishes eat a ton!

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    My mom was thinking of rasing some just for our family - but I couldn't butcher them (yep, I'm a whimp :roll:)

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It's really not that bad..... :lol:

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Like I said, I'm a W-H-I-M-P and I know it! I can barely look at a raw whole chicken lol

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Believe me Chelsey, butchering chickens isn't that bad, its just the mess you have to clean up.
    Bethany,
    We built hoop houses with cattle panels and tarps. We pull them around the pasture and let the chickens go free range in the pasture during the day. We still provide free choice feed of course. Another thing we use is Fertrell Nutri Balancer poultry minerals, I don't like Fertrell's minerals for ruminants, but their chicken minerals are AWSOME. We mix our own feed too, which saves money.
    http://www.plamondon.com/hoop-coop.html
    Those are the hoop houses we use, they are great for goat kidding pens too.
    I'll PM you the number of the place we get chicks from :)

18. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Those are some neat pens, looks like they are light weight and easy to move. My brother designed and welded these for us, they are 10x10, and have wheels on the back that fold up when you aren't using them. They worked really great for us this year.

[​IMG]

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Wow those are really nice. I'll have to show it to dad :D Ours take about one weekend to build, and we can do it for $100-$150, We found though, you have to use pressure treated wood for it, and you can't cheap out on the tarps, they still have to be replaced every year. For the goats, we put a panel down the middle so we can put two goats in for kidding.

20. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Bethany, those pens look awsome! I don't think we could have out chickens free range - Quincy would eat them :roll: