The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three of my 2-3 month old Alpine and Alpine cross kids have horns. I recently added a new wether and he and my other wether have been doing some head butting, but not a ton. Both of them have spots on their horns that look like the outer layer is chipped off, and on the back of the new guys horn there was a spot that I actually peeled off. Is this just shedding because their horns are growing.

Thanks!
Andrea

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shew, thanks! I'll stop worrying then. I thought I was going to have to duct tape up their little horns, lol.

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
the reason why they peel is because their horns are growing so they shed off the outer layer of horn to make room for new growth. I put baby oil on mine to help give them moisture.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
alyssa_romine said:
the reason why they peel is because their horns are growing so they shed off the outer layer of horn to make room for new growth. I put baby oil on mine to help give them moisture.
YEP they do. I NEVER put oil on them because it prevents them from being able to expel body heat. A friend use to put oil on her goats horns at shows and she ended up losing him to a heat stroke because he could not cool himself down. (That is what the vet that was at the show told us).

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
Wow! Thanks for telling me that. That is scary. We put oil on my cousin's goats at the fair and I have put oil on my goats' horns occaccionally put it's not all the time. Thanks again for that info. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts