chipped and peeling horns

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by trailhound, May 17, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound Guest

Mar 22, 2008
    All three of my 2-3 month old Alpine and Alpine cross kids have horns. I recently added a new wether and he and my other wether have been doing some head butting, but not a ton. Both of them have spots on their horns that look like the outer layer is chipped off, and on the back of the new guys horn there was a spot that I actually peeled off. Is this just shedding because their horns are growing.

Thanks!
    Andrea

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Some goats just do that, the kids around here haven't done it recently, but certain years their horns will peel when they are growing.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My little guy thats around the same age has horns doing the same thing....my 5 year old doe's are also flaking, but she beats hers off of the barn door.

4. trailhound

trailhound Guest

Mar 22, 2008
    Shew, thanks! I'll stop worrying then. I thought I was going to have to duct tape up their little horns, lol.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My Cashmeres horns all did that. It'll peel off to the beautiful hard horn. That was before I found you guys and I was sweating it for awhile!

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    the reason why they peel is because their horns are growing so they shed off the outer layer of horn to make room for new growth. I put baby oil on mine to help give them moisture.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP they do. I NEVER put oil on them because it prevents them from being able to expel body heat. A friend use to put oil on her goats horns at shows and she ended up losing him to a heat stroke because he could not cool himself down. (That is what the vet that was at the show told us).

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Wow! Thanks for telling me that. That is scary. We put oil on my cousin's goats at the fair and I have put oil on my goats' horns occaccionally put it's not all the time. Thanks again for that info. :thumb: