Chlamydiosis treatment

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sandoval, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sandoval

sandoval New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Hi again,
    I spent the last 4 days reading everything there is about abortion caused by Chlamydiosis (abortion storm) and am more clear in some areas and more confused in others. I think that we need a clear synthesis about the treatment to help others with the same problem. If anyone there had to treat a herd, please post to this thread your protocol for treatment.
    It seems more or less standard to give all pregnant goats a shot of oxytetracycline at day 105 and day 120 of gestation and again 3 weeks after parturition.
    What I am still unclear is about how to treat non-pregnant females, kids, bucks, and does that already had kids and are in milk.
    I am also unclear about the repetition of the whole treatment in the next 3 years.
    A published paper suggests culling the herd, the goat medicine book suggests not to sell or buy from a herd that had the disease. These seem unreasonably extreme measures as the disease is spread by birds and sucking insects and anyone could have it, no matter how much you keep good practices.
    I am more interested in finding a long-term solution since it is likely that everyone at some point or another will experience this problem.
    I appreciate you posting what worked for you, in details (i.e. what drug was used, when, how much, and how long).
    Also posting what to do about the milk and the sales of goats will be great.
    Thank you so much,
    Cris

2. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    This our proven treatment/prevention plan
    Treatment
    Always where gloves and use protective measures when handling infected animals/embryo’s/dead kids/amniotic sac as it can in rare cases be transmitted to a human.
    Pregnant Does after 30 days pregnant – Biomycin 1 cc per 20 lb given once weekly , SQ,until the doe kids.
    Bucks and kids over 6 months – LA200 or Oxytetracycline 3ml/100# once daily for three days.
    Pink Eye Infection – two drops of Oxytetracycline directly into the eye for three days.
    Prevention
    Good news is there is a vaccine which can be given to prevent abortion outbreaks in the future. However, all goats must be vaccinated and even with use of a vaccine, a herd already infected may take up to 3 years for abortions to stop. Killed vaccines can prevent the abortions, but cannot prevent the shedding of Chlamydia bacteria at kidding. Follow sanitary measures during and after birthing.