Choking?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Jun 5, 2018.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    NOTE: So I am going to start by saying that I have two wethers so any and all answers to my question should be answers specifically (or at least included with) for wethers. Thanks!

Okay, so I noticed that one of my goats started choking. He kind of will hack and cough like he’s trying to get something up, and then he stops. I noticed it usually happens after he eats his grain, especially if he runs afterwards. (Yes I do feed my wethers grain (with AC) but they are young and were underweight so I am just doing it until they are a bit older). Anyway, he also does it sometimes after eating treats. I’ve given him applesauce and other soft stuff and he doesn’t choke. It really is only after he eats something that's harder like grain or treats. He doesn’t do it all the time, only if he is very active after eating, occasionally after eating treats, and sometimes before he chews his cud. Any ideas why this is? Should I be worried? My other goat has never done this...

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is he a fast water? You may just want to put him in a small pen to eat so he can't be super active. Put large rocks that he has to eat around to slow him down.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I think she meant is he a fast eater? Some who tend to just "inhale" their food do this - and it doesn't matter if they are wethers, does or bucks.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yup he's a pretty fast eater! I can try to use something to make a "slow feeder" but I don't know if it would help. Usually I can keep him from running around and he still can choke sometimes.

5. aJadeMagnolia

aJadeMagnolia Member

May 17, 2018
    If it's not occurring after wetter treats such as applesauce, I agree that it sounds like he is overly eager and eating too fast. That's more of a behavioral trait, and if you are able to slow him down or possibly even mist his grain with water that might help.