The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a deposit on my does, and they will arrive sometime in June! They are 2 purebred toggenburgs and one half togg/mini alpine.

This winter they will be old enough to be bred so I am starting to think about finding a buck. (Either to keep or borrow).

What breeds should I be looking for? So far, the half togg/half mini alpine is the same size as the purebred toggs. I do not want a pure toggenburg buck, honestly because a herd full of identical goats seems boring to me. My goals are milk centered and I like the idea of keeping a doeling from time to time.

I know toggs are "medium" size, I'm just having a hard time finding what other breeds are compatible. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You would have better luck sellin the babies if they were Toggs, instead of a mixture, and would get more money from them. But, I don’t have many ideas. Alpines, saanens, lamanchas, are what came to me first : )

·
Registered
287 Posts
You could consider Nigerians. They’re smaller than Toggenburgs so you wouldn’t have the chance of a large sized baby in a medium mama. They’re also every color imaginable. It might be difficult to find one to improve good quality Toggenburg udders though.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Toggs come in several shade of brown, so they all probably won't be the same shade of brown.

Reactions: Rysktal

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
Why not get a mini alpine buck? There are mini Nubians too, I'm pretty sure they are close in size too, but you'd have to double check me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My buck I used last fall was togg/lamancha. He was decent sized but not huge and marked exactly like a togg even though he was 88% lamancha. I'm excited to see how the udders on his daughters look (I bred him to lamanchas). His kids, even bred to different color dams are all shades of brown, even kids from my black doe. They're neat looking kids though, a few of them have the togg facial stripes.

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
I'm just starting yet another toggenburg LaMancha line. They mix so nicely. I am having trouble with keeping f/f milkers crossing with the LaMancha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts