Choosing a home???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, May 14, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay I'm selling Heidi and I've already had TONS of interest in her! I don't know how to choose. There's one guy who is on disability who wants her, one person who wants her for her son, another who wants her, and some more. I'm feeling bad about deciding to sell her and this is making it a lot harder than I thought it would be. :tears: Please help.

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Go with your gut, whoever seems the best for her. Hope that helps! :)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When it comes to my kids, I go with who has the want to and time to give them what they need...and people who truly want to learn and are not afraid to ask me questions, the ones that have goats and are willing to ask me what they are eating and so forth, the ones who are just beginning have my time and knowledge available when they need it and have enthusiasm when it comes to learning. Of course people have to work but if they want one or more of my kids they also need to realize the commitment and responsibility they are taking on and can't just say well I have to work late so my goats will go without dinner tonite...the ones that realize they need to make the time to care are the ones that I choose for new homes.

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Liz is right, if they ask lots of questions that is great. If they come to look at her, and they baby talk to her, hug her, kiss her, etc. that is great too. I recently sold a little doeling to a nice lady with 6 kids, and she just awwed and ooed and hugged her, so I knew she was going to a great home. Just DON'T sell Lyrae. She is too too nice.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

why are you selling her?
    beth

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I'm selling her because I have limited room and I want two more registered goats to show (one buck and one doe) and I don't think she'd be competitive in the ring even if I NOA'ed her.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I hope you find a good home for her. If you are really worried about her, you can ask if you can visit where she will be going, also be sure to grill them on goat questions, see what they know :wink:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ah i understand that one. i have limeited space too.
    beth

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    don't be pressured into anything right away. You need to be sure inside that it is the right home. Sometimes you jsut have to turn people away if they don't fit your criteria for an owner. LIke someone else said "it is a gut thing"

10. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't know if this would work in the goat world- I am more used to horses- but could you do a lease to own situation? Write up contracts of course, and lease her to them (could be a care lease where they provide all care/expenses but you retain ownership) for a certain amount of time, then if they are doing a good job you will officially sell her? You could have monthly lease payments go towards purchase price.

Might be more trouble than you want to deal with, but that way you could ensure that she goes to a good home and can do something about it if she is not being well cared for.

Andrea