The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading forums gathering information should I need help ... Well I need some help or at least advice. I have used Quest Plus in the past on occasion as needed. We had a little buckling born a twin to a red boar this spring and he was small and sickly so we had him fecal tested at the vet and they said no parasites or Coccicidi. He didn't seem to improve and had a runny stool. Finally I gave him a dose of the Quest and he still didn't improve. I learned about Cydectine so in desperation I bought the cattle dose pour on and dosed him using dosage found here. His stool improved almost immediatly and he has continued to Improve. Now To the next situation in the story. Our Buck Was worn out from last breeding season (October Here) he seemed to tag along for the winter and this spring seemed to start losing weight. I gave him Quest Plus with no Improvement So I dosed him with The Cydectin and still saw no weight gain even though he continued to eat. One evening he went down and was gone by morning. I Took a fecal sample to the vet and He said Barber Pole and Gave me Panacure for the whole herd. Dosed each goat (18 of them) then 2 weeks later again then 2 weeks I took 3 fecals for testing as requested by the vet. Again Barber Pole on all 3 samples along with Coccidia on one of the bucklings of almost 6 months now, we noticed on saturday a runny stool on him and took the fecal on wednesday. We did A Famacha and they all seemed worse and after seeing the runny stool (and looking at the comments here about Panacure :() we decided to go ahead and reworm them all using the cydectin. Now the Vet gave me meds for the coccidia and a bottle of Prohibit Sol Levamisole to worm them again...
Now my Question: should I dose them with the prohibit after doing the Cydectine on Thursday Morning or wait for Famacha to improve - How long till I Should see Improvement ? - or wait and see what happens ?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Quest is cydectin. First of all. Same drug.

Panacur doesn’t work.

I would not use prohibit yet, instead I would do cydectin and valbazen at the same time.

But wow are you throwing a lot of chemicals out blind.

THEY NEED COCCIDIA treatment! You need a different drug for this. Coccidia is what causes runny stool.

Use Corid, toltrazuril, albon, or dimethox.

After this, fecal once more in 10 days.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Prohibit is kinda the last resort treatment and it’s kinda a harsh one and has to be dosed just right. I agree I would hold off for right this moment and try the suggestion of cydectin and valbazen. The vet gave you treatment for the cocci, don’t use anything else and use what the vet gave you. Once you go with that I would send another fecal sample in and see what’s up.
How is he on copper? Showing any signs of copper deficiency? A lot of people are turning to copper boluses to help fight barber pole. I believe it is goofygoat that took a whole class on it. She is super sweet if she doesn’t come along maybe shoot her a message and if I’m wrong about it being her both of you can laugh at me lol or I’m sure you can do a search on copper boluses and barber pole too if you would rather go that way. I have only in passing read about it so I’m not even going to attempt to give advise other then it might be something for you to look into.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Thanks for thinking of me :) @Jessica84 but it wasn't me who took the class. I've done a lot of reading though.
I use a copper bolus twice a year here and feed in it fig newtons. I also have been using the new formula Purina goat minerals with the larger copper percentage in it and have noticed it's really been helping. I put it out along side wind rain and storm so they can chose what they need. I'd kill for some sweetlix but no one carries it.
@Excalibur1
Quest and cydectin are both the same drug. I agree that copper will help but I'd use the cydectin and valbazen together.
What minerals are you using? Do you feed up off the ground or are they browsing on really short fields? If they keep getting wormy you need to break the cycle by doing three wormings ten days apart.
Just know if you have pregnant does...don't use the valbazen on them it can cause severe problems and birth defects.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for thinking of me :) @Jessica84 but it wasn't me who took the class. I've done a lot of reading though.
I use a copper bolus twice a year here and feed in it fig newtons. I also have been using the new formula Purina goat minerals with the larger copper percentage in it and have noticed it's really been helping. I put it out along side wind rain and storm so they can chose what they need. I'd kill for some sweetlix but no one carries it.
@Excalibur1
Quest and cydectin are both the same drug. I agree that copper will help but I'd use the cydectin and valbazen together.
What minerals are you using? Do you feed up off the ground or are they browsing on really short fields? If they keep getting wormy you need to break the cycle by doing three wormings ten days apart.
Just know if you have pregnant does...don't use the valbazen on them it can cause severe problems and birth defects.
Thanks ... I will have to read on the Copper Bolus. They get fed on the milking stands and also use wind and rain (can't get sweetlix here unless I buy a full pallet). They have about 3 acres of virgin pasture that includes trees, brush and all around the pond. Haven't had worm issues like this year so what I have used in the past was over a period of 5 years. I have seen like your recommendation using cydectin and valbazen and the question I had was should I give what the vet gave me after I had already dosed with Cydectin. The lone Buckling that has cocci is being treated with what the Vet gave me and is showing improvement. How long after worming shoud I start seeing improvement in Famacha color ? It has been a week since the cydectin should I still give valbazen and what would the dose be ? Do you think a second dose of cydectin 14 days after first. Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks ... Maybe someone can tell us about doing that ... read on one of the posts somewhere about something called red something I will have to look that up ...
We treated anemia in our kids this year with the following, and trust me... it can take a few weeks so be patient:

- Red cell at 6cc/100 lbs once a day for a week orally.... Then 3cc/100 lbs once a week until FAMACHA improves
- Give the goats lots of probiotics... 10g twice a day per goat. You can use the powder or the probios gel
- B complex once a day for week one, subcu is best, 4cc/100 lbs... I then drop down to once every few days after that
- Make sure they are getting a high protein feed. The barber pole worm is very draining on them.

Hope it helps =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts