Christmas dinner - think this will be enough?

Discussion in 'Cookin' Corner' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 19, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Just a quick question and figured I'd put it here.
    We have 12 or 17 people coming over for Christmas dinner. I bought a 13lb ham and a 13lb turkey. Think that will be enough? Ham is semi boneless, turkey is a young turkey. 3 of 12 are my kids so they may not eat a whole lot?
    I am not used to cooking for so many people, and to me it seems like plenty...but I want to be sure :) This is my first time doing Christmas dinner on my own, and first time at our house too! I couldn't find a bigger ham :( I wanted a spiral ham, but couldn't find one at Walmart or Kroger...bummer, but this ham will be fine :)

I'm also making candied sweet potatoes, baked beans, mashed potatoes w/gravy, mac n'cheese, corn, broccoli/cheese, cranapple relish, rolls and step mom is bringing her famous deviled eggs! I'm sure I am forgetting something!
    Most of the stuff will be baked in the oven.... I have green beans from the garden in my deep freezer so I am sure I'll find something to make with them too.

Making 6 pumpkin pies, and 2-3 pudding pies w/graham cracker crust, chocolate & vanilla flavored pretzels, bark, and going to try making the townhouse cracker/crunchy peanut butter sandwhich covered with chocolate that someone recommended to me. That away I have a variety. I'm not a big junk food eater, but I like to try to make the stuff for fun, and everyone seems to enjoy them so why not ? :wink:

I can't believe we're just a week from Christmas! I always get anxious for Christmas, but depressed when it's over!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ...everything.... sounds really yummy...can I join....LOL :D

I'd say 13 lb turkey and 13 lb ham should be enough with all the trimmings... for 17 people or less... If everyone just ate 1 lb each of meat.. you'd be OK....there should be leftovers...

Good luck with your 1st dinner celebration....I have faith in you ...that it will be really good and everything will go well .... :wink: :thumb:

There is 1 thing ...you didn't mention... in your list..."drinks" :p

3. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Give 'em lots of nibblies beforehand to help fill up a bit before dinner, and then you won't have to worry so much about it not being enough..hehe.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like plenty to me -- as to the green beans, make a green bean casserole YUMMY.

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much!
    Drinks well it'll be coffee, water, lipton's ice tea <we are obsessed with this stuff it's soooo GOOD>, and coke/sprite.

Stacey - great idea! Thanks! And I got a recipe for a casserole with some coupons from Kroger, so I'll have to try it!

I plan on having a tray with crackers and cheese before hand, plus I'll have the homemade candies out. There's the fillers before dinner LOL

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like an awesome plan :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California