Christmas Ideas!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Amos, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ok, not sure if there are any rules about when we can even begin talking about Christmas...

But I'm sorta in the mood, (even though I tell myself its no where near time) on Saturday is my families 'set date' where we need to email everyone our christmas lists, even if someone didn't draw that exact name. (We're trying a thing like secret santa)

So share your Christmas ideas, foods, and thoughts!

Anyway, I'm planning on making some goat milk soap to put in everyones stocking, and maybe some candles, depends on how much time I have, as well as Brunost and Chevre for Christmas Dinner, (we're expecting atleast nine people) and hopefully by then I'll have enough cream for icecream also.

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Christmas season has basically started here! My grandma made apple cookies . . .I'm not sure if their called that tho . . .. but you smear some blended apple on some cookie dough and then wrapp it and then cut it like you would cinnemon rolls and bake them and they are sooooooo gooood . . . .. . . :drool: I am going to go have one right now . . . .
    The problem with Christmas is it's right before my birthday (Jan 28) and so . . . no one can think up different gifts! I kept gettign the same perfume for 3 years! :ROFL:

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    LOL, yeah we always seem to discontinue one years list from another.. this year I was told I need to think up something 'big' that costed alot instead of cd's and books like usual.

Those apple cookie rolls sure sound nummy! You might have to mail me one.

I hear ya on the birthday thing too, my nephews birthday is Dec. 19th, sisters birthday is Dec. 29th, my brothers is Dec. 30th, my uncle's is Christmas Day, and our friend's birthdays are Dec 26th and 31st.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have also started thinking about Christmas (although i wish that I wasn't - last year we were snowed in at the ranch).

I am planning on making goat soap for everyone as presents. We are a "little" older, so we are not into the gifts and what not - so a soap would be a nice thing for the adults in the family as we all have everything we want unless it is to much for someone else to purchase :)

For the kids we get them a gift card or cash that way they can "pool" everything together and if they want a BIG present they can do that. With the economy now, we have to be so careful.

As for traditions, my husband's family has an adults only game that we play "Boy/Girl game" Everyone who wants to participate purchases 1 gift that is 20.00 or less and wraps it. The boys gifts in 1 pile girls' in another. The girls all draw a number. That is the order that you get to pick a wrapped gift. You open it. The next person can "steal" your gift or pick a wrapped one and it goes until everyone has a gift. It is alot of fun. Then the boys get to do theirs!

Matter of fact - watch for a post here pretty soon - of something that I will put together.

5. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    last Christmas i worked at a grocery store
    this Christmas i am working at a retail store
    both stores started playing Christmas music promptly on Nov 1 :roll:

personally, i wouldn't be having Christmas this year if it wasn't for my 11 year old
    lyf sux (long story - still depressed - sorry)
    i am making soap for co-workers
    my brother is making soap for gift baskets for family
    thought about candles but - nah! - too much work and i'm having fun playing with soap

my sisters bday is 11 days before Christmas and my mom's was 11 days after Christmas
    one year my sister finally blurted out
    "ya know. i'm tired of getting Christmas wrapping on my bday pressies"
    lol

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Heavenlyhaven, I have really been thinking about you a lot lately and the situation. I will still pray :pray: for you. Just know that your son really needs you and try to keep your head up. :hug:

I just hate how early they put Christmas music on at all the stores, no matter where it is. I know most people are totally burned out by yhre time Christmas comes around.

I don't know what we will do this year. I will be having surgery next week and if I do not get the Christmas stuff up this weekend I do not think it will be up at all this year. I will not be able to to do it before Christmas because of the surgery. My son will be coming home for Christmas but he will not be here until the 22nd, and he hates to decorate and so does my daughter. They said they would rather not have Christmas at all. They just want to celebrate the Holiday by reading the bible and giving to the under privileged.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :slapfloor:

hmmm maybe I should make an amendment for next year :wink:

I will not say the word until after Thanksgiving! I LOVE Thanksgiving and I dislike how it gets overshadowed by _____ every year! :(

8. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I am definitely of the mind that we should celebrate one holiday at a time. Thanksgiving is next, so that's what I'm focusing on. But on the other hand I do have to get Christmas presents done if I'm going to give homemade gifts, so I have to give it some thought. I was peeved that WalMart put their Christmas stuff out before Halloween was even over with. But then yesterday it struck me that they might just have their Wilton silicone cupcake pans in Christmas shapes for sale so I could make some Christmas soaps to sell. And they did! I got the one that has a stocking, gingerbread man, and Christmas tree. There is a snowflake one, too, but since they are over $9. with tax I'll have to wait for another time to buy that one.

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    LOL Sorry Stacey! I was thinking that but I figured what the heck.

You know, pretty soon they'll be playing Christmas music all year long by the sounds of it, as well as Christmas decor and gifts in the stores. :wink:

We basically don't decorate for anything anymore, besides a jack-o-lantern or two, and a Christmas Tree. Sometimes we'll put lights up if we have time.
    My mom has several 'Happy Everything' signs put up so that takes care of it all. lol.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Amos--my birthday is December 18th! My husband's is the 30th...my step-dad's is the 25th...our aniversary is the 23rd...lol...such a busy month!

11. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    thank you sweets
    i realized tonite that i've gone from severly depressed to very angry
    i was talking about "stuff" with a co worker and realized it was the first time i talked about it without bawling
    after thinking about it i think i am angry
    what's the next step?
    denial?
    acceptance?
    what are the steps of emotional response to finding out you have a terminal disease?
    (no i don't have a t.d. but i feel like i do some days...)

12. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I know the first two steps for grieving are 1) sadness, then 2) anger. Don't remember what the other two are cuz I always get stuck at #2.

OK, I was wrong. Looked it up on-line and the 5 stages of grief are:
    1. denial
    2. anger
    3. bargaining
    4. depression
    5. acceptance

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think its different for each person, for me on a serious issue its..

1. denial
    2. bargaining
    3. anger
    5. acceptance (last, if at all)

Depression is throughout it all.

For some people they accept stuff first, and will be angery or sad/depressed about it after.

May I ask what happened Heavenly?

14. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    for me i think
    shock
    feelings of betrayal
    depression
    anger/depression
    anger
    (that's where i am at now)
    i think

15. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I think you are probably right, Amos, as well as it being different for each situation. When my middle child died 21 years ago I did the denial BIG TIME, but skipped right over the anger and bargaining. When my marriage came apart 7 years later I skipped the denial and bargaining, stayed angry for a long, long time - in fact I think I probably finally let go of the anger just this past summer when my ex finally apologized to our oldest child for the way he acted - and never really was very depressed, more like relieved that I was finally out of that situation.

Man, oh, man have we gotten way off track on this thread or what?!?! :gift:

16. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I was at Walmart on November 1 and they were playing Christmas music. I did not like it but my 13 year daughter loved it. She is totally into Christmas music she plays it all year long. She says it uplifts her. I guess that is middle school talk for it is cool. I like to focus on one holiday at a time but with Thanksgiving being a little later this year I might have to adjust my timeline to get everything done. So much for kicking back and just enjoying this time of the year!!

17. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Lol, thats fine, we've got a ways until Christmas hits, besides, they're all basically ideas, some just aren't about Christmas :wink:

18. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    We're doing two home/handmade things for gifts this year. First, we've been making gnome gardens. We got little baskets at the thrift store. We already had lots of wreath-y things from previous times. My daughter and I made gnomes and fairies with wooden beads, pipecleaners, flower petal and felt clothes and wings. We did buy some spanish moss at the craft store. First we filled the baskets with a little potpourri (you could just use dried oranges or apples and cloves, cinnamon, etc), the some moss. We attached our gnomes to craft sticks, stuck them in, decorated w/little pine cones, etc. My sister got hers for her birthday, she really loved it.

I found beeswax sheets are the most reasonable at Knorrbeeswax.com You can mix colors, they include the wick and shipping, it comes out to less than $4.50 a pair of candles, even if you do two-color tapered candles. Actually, the sheets are good for 2 candles each, so maybe it works out to even less (haven't started rolling yet). Anyway, just wanted to pass it along...Lauren

19. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Those are some great ideas..
    I know as kids my siblings, me and my mom used to make the beeswax sheet candles all the time. They stopped selling those though, but they were always fun things to do when we were bored. We actually still have some even though its been years.

20. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    newtogoats: do you have pictures of your garden gnomes. I love those little guys!

I am going to vote for Thanksgiving 1st. I am going to my aunts. She is having a rough year and so we are going to visit her. We are bringing most of dinner with us.

As for Birthdays, my bros birthday is Dec. 24. We try to wrap his presents in birthday wrapping.