The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I will. We've been doubled up on rehearsals for recitals (Miriam's violin, she did Ashokan Farewell and Rhapsody In Blue), we're both in the local Christmas play, and they just asked Miriam to do a solo at her school's winter concert, even though she's in kindergarten. I had told her we would start work in earnest on the presents after her recital on Sunday, but we've have three rehearsals this week so far! Good thing we live right outside of town where the theater is. And we try to practice an hour a day and do some reading and get her to bed by nine. I know that's late, but that's as soon as we can get there.

By the way, I found myself face to face with something I thought I wouldn't have to deal with til at least 3rd or 4th grade. Her friend in school started a "nail polish" club, only girls who wear it are allowed to join. I don't think it's "evil" or anything, but don't really love to see kids wearing that stuff all that much. I asked Miriam what if some girl who wasn't allowed to wear it felt bad about being kept out of the club, and Miriam said she'd quit, so I told her to tell her friend that she wouldn't be in a group that kept other kids out. So the next day, this little sweet-faced-five year old tells Miriam that if she tells her mother about what she says, they can't be friends. Now we have talked to Miriam about not listening if anyone tells you to keep a secret from us, because we're the ones who really love her. And about how kids will sometimes try to get you to do stupid or dangerous things. I just didn't think it would happen this soon. And I'm not sure where her friend gets it from, she only has a two year old sister, and her parents seem very kind. It worries me for her sake that she is valueing being secretive from her mom at this age. Anyway, sorry for this being out of place, but anyway, the craft photos may take just a little while (besides never having uploaded here before, but I'm sure I can get it). Whew, thanks for listening, comments welcome.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Oh my, newtogoats! I must be an old "fudy dudy", I totally agree with the talk you had with your daughter! But, I would certainly try to talk to this friends mother...not to cause a fuss or anything...but she should know her daughter is OK with keeping secrets from parents...seems a small thing now, but, later...imagine...

I try to get in the "Holiday" spirit, but it's hard when family is so "spread out" around the country. My grandkids are old enough I don't even try to buy for them...so they know they are getting money. But, that's ok, they try to collect enough so they can get something they "really" need. LOL But, they all come to visit. So, I'm thankful for that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed! Rhapsody in Blue is one of my all time favorite pieces, very complex for a kindergartener. Miri must be very talented!!! :cool:

About the nail polish club, unless you are already friends with the other girl's mother I would not approach her about her daughter's attitude. Call me a cynic, but I have found that children who act that way at an early age usually have parents that don't want to hear "bad" things about their kids, and won't see it as a problem anyway. You are right to tell your daughter that keeping secrets from you is not a good thing, and keep reminding her that you love her no matter what, while pointing out that there are going to be people in her life who are going to want to boss her around (the exclusion of girls who don't wear nail polish is just one way of controlling people with less strong personalities) that don't love her or have her best interests as their purpose. If they are starting this in kindergarten it makes you wonder what they will be doing by the time they are in fifth or sixth grade. Will they be excluding virgins? I'd definitely be trying to find some other friends for your daughter from a group of people who share your values.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know, I thought mom was still a little girl's best friend at that age (and for a long while yet...til you come back to it again). I don't really know the mother that well, but I think it's sad that she's keeping secrets from her already, like you said, what could possibly be in store? We go back and forth about home-schooling, but I thought "it's only kindergarten, how bad could it be?" There are so many pros and cons, maybe that should be a thread. Oh well, I guess the important thing right now is that Miriam is talking to me about it, and we can guide her when these things come up. Thanks all...Lauren

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm a strong believer in the benefits of homeschooling! There are so many "helps" and different types of curriculum available to homeschooling families that a parent can tailor a program specifically to each of their children. The one requirement, if you are going to homeschool, is that you are well-disciplined enough to actually do the work and make sure your children are really learning what they should be learning to grow up to be well-rounded, contributing members of the community.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am really not sure of our Christmas plans right now though since right now we're getting my Mom's Mom into an Assisted Living where my Dad's Mom is at and my Great Uncle and Aunt are there too and my brother and sis-in-law and their 3 year old daughter are in GA now and she's expecting her 2nd baby due in February 2009! I think we might get together sometime during the Christmas holiday with my other brother and his family and might get together also with my sis and her husband too. My birthday is December 10th and my parent's anniversary is December 20th.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My best friends birthday is December 23rd and mine is December 24th-but I to hate it when Thanksgiving is overlooked and people start putting up their trees before Thanksgiving. I'm kind of feeling bahumbugish this year. Although I do have a lot to be thankful for. How are you all doing on your resolutions for this year? I acctually followed through with mine. I have lost almost 75lbs this year. The treadmill has been my hero this year;-). As for Christmas this year. I just want some country music cds so I can have more of a variety of music to listen to while i'm working out-I swear the radio stations play the same old songs every day. But, I would also be happy if I didn't get anything-spending time with my family is the best gift I could ask for.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts