The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: how do you make the transition from dam raised baby to bottle baby easier??

BACKSTORY:
So here I am again with a phone call from family member who needs me to take in twin boer mix bucklings. They are a week old and have been dam raised until today when their mom died. Family member knows the person who raises these goats and apparently he pulled the afterbirth from the mom. Mom died today.

Babies took a little milk tonight. I've bottle raised before, but it has always been from birth. Never from a week old.

Wasn't sure if anyone had to do something similar or if anyone had tips to share.

Thanks in advance !

·
14,456 Posts
They should get the hang of it, a week old isnt too old.
You know about either honey or karo on your finger & on the nipple, to tickle their behinds.
What sort of nipple are you using?
Mine do fine on human ones & the black lamb ones when they get a little bigger.
Happy bottle feeding!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
I've had mine take a supplementary bottle much older than that.
Just keep working at it. They should catch on after a few tries.

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have several nipples, regular baby ones, black lamb nipples, the red and yellow nipples that are smaller.

Yes I know about Karo on nipple, hiding face, and touching rump area.

I'm honestly not sure how long ago they last nursed. I did get them around 7:30pm (9:30pm now). They drank a little (couple ounces worth) earlier. They weren't sure about the nipple at first, then drank a little. They seem healthy and all, just scared, confused, and looking for mama :(

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks milkmaid and nancy!!

I'm not giving up..I'm stubborn too lol :)

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!!!

One of them got it today. He fought me so hard all day and then tonight he just started sucking the bottle and not pushing it out of his mouth like he has been doing.

The other still hasn't gotten it, but he does nibble on the nipple and drink what comes out. Just hasn't latched on like the other!!

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told to just give him time. As long as he is drinking breeder friend said don't worry. Of course I over worry. Lol

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no way to make the transition easier. At a week old the kids know the difference between Mom's teat and the bottle, and it usually ends up being a battle of wills and just seeing who gives in first - you or the kid. You have the advantage, however, and it sounds like you are well on your way to having a couple of healthy, happy bottle babies! :thumbup:

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have won the battle :) !!

They are both now drinking the bottle and nibbling grain and hay! Should be some big ole boys when grown. Their daddy is a big boer. I am told they are 75 percent boer and 25 percent kiko. Sad thing is we won't be keeping these cuties. We raise pygmies and Nigis and don't need a huge boer wether running around lol.

What age do you normally band boer bucklings? My friend bands my minis at 8 weeks ish. Is it the same for big bucklings?

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
The major advantage to waiting until 3 months is that it allows the urethra to grow and that cuts down on problems with urinary calculi. Another advantage is that testosterone provides a big boost when it comes to growth. If you have strong, capable men to help you band I would wait until 3 months. I don't, so I band at 2 months.

Those little guys are too freakin cute!

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Congratulations, and those babies are adorable.

I always wait 3 months. I just think 8 weeks is so young.

Is there a market out there for them as bucks?

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm honestly not sure. I only know about the ND and Pygmy goat market.

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hoping to find them pet homes. We will see. :) thanks all for your help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts