The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting leftover pine trees for my two Nigerian dwarf goats. Is it okay for them to feed them a lot of pine? What I read said in moderation, pine is good, but what is moderation for two Nigerian dwarfs? Is a medium sized tree (5-6) a day too much? I do not want my goats to get sick over overeating pine. Where I live, everything is pretty barren right now so they would enjoy some fresh stuff.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I give my goats all the Christmas trees that come our way. I space out giving new tree, because otherwise they will waste it.
I have not noticed any ill effect from lots of pine/spruce/fir trees.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,513 Posts
I'd be worried about them being sprayed with some sort of pesticides or junk if they are commercial Christmas trees. Is that not a concern in you guys' opinion?

·
TKC Farms
2,472 Posts
I'd be worried about them being sprayed with some sort of pesticides or junk if they are commercial Christmas trees. Is that not a concern in you guys' opinion?
Very much, I only give mind what I cut on the farm. I don't need to borrow trouble, I have enough as is. I just cut limbs of trees and some sticky vine they go crazy over.

Reactions: happybleats

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
It was at first. I was sort of suspicious and checked for chemical look or smell or wax, or fake colour, or anything suspicious. They all seem clean to me, and the goats go crazy over them. So, between my verdict and theirs, we called it ok to eat. Sometimes there is a decoration left on one, i take that off. :lolgoat:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had always heard that the high content of vit. C in evergreens (particularly cedar) could pose a overdose issue. but, like y'all said, if you monitor there intake it shouldn't be an issue. I think its a little more risky if they are pregnant. It would take a substantial amount to have any major effect though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts