Christmas Trees

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by citylights, Dec 22, 2009.

1. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I was on a goat rescue site and they suggested people bringing their old Xmas trees to the farm for the goats to eat/play with. Has anyone done that before? It never occurred to me! My husband bought a noble fir, so I looked it up. It's non toxic and doesn't cause bloating in livestock. The tree is in the house now, but -- believe it or not -- no one has decorated it or put any lights on it! So I'm thinking I'm going to toss it down for the goaties to play with! Seems kind of silly to decorate it at this point. I wonder if I can convince anyone that we're doing the minimalist, back-to-nature type of decor. Except that it's a cut tree! :roll:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes goats LOVE the trees I get for them come after Christmas :thumb:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...... they do love them........... :wink: :greengrin:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...I always have a Blue Spruce and each year after the holidays, I un decorate it and make sure there are no hooks or tinsel on it then my girls have a BLAST!!! Its pretty much just a stick by the end of January :wink:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Just make sure no one puts something in the water to help preserve it.

I am going to ask this place in town that has about 75 trees that they have not sold as of tonight if I could get some later.

I was also told awhile ago to be careful that some of the trees will cause abortion in later term pregnancy. I do not know if that is true but I will wait until they have all kidded. They should all be done by Feb.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've heard the same thing about abortions in does...but I dont think it's true. we have lots of spruce and their always chewing on them.

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    If the tree came cut from a sales lot, I'd say pass and spare the goats. Cut trees are generally doused or heavily fumigated with a variety of insecticides and fungicides. Fresh cut trees, I think, would be okay. My Angoras like evergreens and firs.

Deb Mc

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  9. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Our neighbors throw theirs into our corral every year...my goats go nuts! :leap: !!

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Totally safe and goats love them IF they have not been sprayed with pesticides etc. And if you don't know, it may just not be worth the risk, but if you know it's safe, great!...goats love them!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I forget but I know goathappy knows what kind of tree is not good for pregnant goats. Its a yellow something I think :scratch: not positive :doh:

12. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    SHeesh! All these years and I never thought of this! SInce no one at my house will decorate the tree but me, it ain't getting done! :hair: ANd with no hooks or tinsel to worry about, my gang will have fun!

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yep... my goaties get the x-mas trees every year. :- ) Pine needles are a natural dewormer and they love it.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net