Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Nov 2, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm susposed to be coming up with what I want for Christmas,so far Im going to ask my dad to build my milking stand. :) I should have my first set of kids next spring,and then I will be milking my doe,so what are the basics I will need for that? I want to try to keep it under $100 and I'll buy some things myself. :wink: What does everyone else want? A car would be nice to... haha :gift:
  2. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    For milking supply basics:
    -1 gallon glass jars to store the milk in (large pickle jars from Sam's Club make up most of my collection)
    -something to milk into (I use a half gallon Tupperware measuring cup which helps me keep track of how much milk I'm getting at each milking)
    -a package of 18 white washcloths from WalMart to use for washing udders. I put the dirty ones in a Rubbermaid 2 gallon container filled halfway with bleach water. When the container is full, or I am out of clean cloths, I dump the whole thing into my washing machine, wash on the hottest water setting. They are cheap and reusable and do a good job cleaning dirt and crud off my girls' udders.
    -a pad of little sticky notes for putting the date of milking on the lid of each milk jar so I know how old the milk is in my fridge at all times.
    - a wire mesh coffee filter for filtering the hair and other stuff that you don't want in your milk. It fits nicely into the top of the 1 gallon pickle jars so you can pour the milk directly from the measuring cup into the storage jar through the filter.
    - a nice, sturdy container to carry all this stuff out to the milk barn would be nice, too.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    That is a really good idea! I never would have thought of that... :)

Hmm...let see...part of my family is Jewish so I need to make a Haunukah list My birthday is Dec. 18...and my anniversary is Dec. 23...

Anyway, this year is mainly going to be about goats:

-nice stainless steel milking pail
    -milk strainer
    -tattooing supplies
    -disbuding iron

And a couple things for myself:

-high quality vocal microphone
    -magnetic pickup for my accoustic guitar

I'm sure I won't get everything, but these are the things I want/need.
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Lets see.. I'll take a subsrciption to Goat Rancher, several tons of alfalfa, my 3 barn kitties fixed.
    If you want to get really extravagant how about a stock trailer?
    Ooh!! And the barn leveled.
    Why stop now.....more pens, a nice loafing shed, when its all done our own buck! :cool:
  5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    To be able to use the rest of our shed that my dad won't let us have..

Some herbal medicine books, some nice moccasin boots, and AI paid for.

But I'll probably get none of that.
  6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    All I want for Christmas is my land surveyed and a septic tank- i can handle the mobile home- i want to be with my goaties!!! Expensive Christmas list huh? :ROFL:
  7. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

I dont have time to think of what I would like for christmas as my kids have already be telling me what they want, I tell them write it down, I swear everyday that list gets longer and longer :hair:
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    This year we are a little short on the old cash. So all I want is to have healthy babies and no problems.

We have decided to take what $$ we would spend on each other and we are going to buy a goats for Operations Christmas Child. I guess a goat is worth a LOT of money over there. They can get the milk and things they need. Then we are going to fill the boxes full of thing for the kids that the boxes will be going to. My daughter said she has WAY more then she could ever need and there are so many people that do not have a fraction of what she does. I was very proud of her. :hug: She wants to buy a goat herself to give then.
  9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I want a blue eyed buckling for Xmas. Somebody tell hubby for me, OK?
  10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There's lot's of neat things I'd like to have, but when I really think about it.....I have all I want, with the hope a "complete" family still out of my hands, I enjoy every minute I have with my mom, sis, niece, nephew and my DH. :love: ..........(Well, there IS the tattoo outfit I'll be needing next spring. :wink: )
  11. Martha Moo

Martha Moo New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    We use the fast flow milk filters from Hoegers Goat Supply. I also use white board dry erase markers for writing the date on the lid.