The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 Nubian does, and 2 of them have never had as much as a bunched poo. But my herd queen has had diarrhea multiple times. Twice before now, and now is the worst case yet. Every time she has it, I take her to the vet, and $100 later we discover...nothing. Worm load minimal, no cocci, nothing visible/obvious as to the cause. Last week, we took her to the vet again for diarrhea and they did give her an antibiotic to see if that was the issue. She did great for a week, was bright-eyed and gaining weight, and tonight I went out to check her and it was back so badly that the backs of her legs are soaked with it.

She gets Replamin once a week, and a 4g copper bolus every 4 months. She's on alfalfa, with grain supplements. She has free range of 1.5 acres of forest and scrubland during the day, but she refuses to eat any browse while she is out there. She's still in milk, but I think I'm going to dry her off since her body clearly can't handle general functions.

I'm giving her electrolyes, B12 shots, and so much probiotics. Powder top-dressed on her food, an off the shelf paste, and even syringes of yogurt.

The only pattern that I've seen is that she gets diarrhea when something changes. First time, I introduced another doe. Second time, I took a 2-week vacation. This time, I don't have a buck so I transported all of the does an hour and a half away for a breeding.

Her body condition is terrible--a 2. Please help! Why does my doe keep trying to die for no reason?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Going strictly by the pattern you described, could it just be she has a nervous/anxious type temperament and doesn't handle stressful situations well, resulting in digestive upset. Triggering some type of immune response that worsens under stress.

Have you tested her for CL, CAE, and Johnes?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where is she in the dominance chain? My Lilly is lowest in the chain and while not so often blown diarrhea, she’s the first to get clumpy poo, has the worst body condition and the best FAMACHA I can’t get her to is a 4 (or 2? Whichever is once step lower than best).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, a bit late to replies.

Yes, we tested for CL/CAE/Johnnes to rule those out as part of the gamut we have put her through. Negative for all.

She's my herd queen. Her twin sister was herd queen until I sold her, and now this doe has taken over. I don't think she likes being herd queen--she never had these issues when she was second in command. But she's too stubborn to let the another doe take the position from her. I think some of the fighting over queen status they do is adding to her drama/stress. We did always call her Neurotic Goat.

ksalvagno, thank you for the recommendation! I am ordering them right now. Hopefully that will clear her up. If it's just Neurotic Goat being neurotic, we may never stop the diarrhea, but those should help her recover each time.

She throws such gorgeous kids, or I'd sell her. She's not too special to look at, but her kids all come out with amazing conformation and build.

·
8,168 Posts
Banamime injectable helps soothe the gut and can help get rid of diarrhea.
Do you have cats in your barn? Toxoplasmosis can be carried by cats and cause trouble in goats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the replies! I had not thought of cats. We do have a stray who has shown up recently and we've seen her in the barn.

Is banamine safe for newly pregnant goats? I did just breed her 3 weeks ago--too soon to confirm if it took, but I don't want to take risks this early on in the pregnancy, if she is pregnant.

I don't recall what the vet used as an antiobiotic. He did confirm it was safe for pregnant goats. I would have to call and ask him what it was.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
You said you inject B-12, she actually needs B-1 (thiamine) for rumen health.
Fortified vit B complex or high vit B complex has thiamine in it.
Give 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ daily for at least 3 days minimum, longer is OK. Along with the probiotics mentioned.
Or buy the paste, is best. Instead of the powder form.

I would also give the pig scour halt, double the dosage for goats and give as label states.

Banamine is good to give for 4 days.
Though, it will boost her appetite.

What kind of grain supplement are you feeding and how much per day?
Depending on what kind, it may be contributing to her issues.
Sweet feeds are bad, or feeding too much grain.

If she is scouring, stop all grain, just feed hay.
Rich alfalfa also can contribute to scouring issues, if fed too much.
It is rich feed.
Free choice alfalfa is another thing which is not good for some goats, causing issues.
Adding a little oat hay or something equivalent, may help and backing off the alfalfa hay some.
Sometimes we allow too much feed and that alone can be an issue, because we want that goat to gain weight.
Always start out slow, then gradually increase as time goes by, to get them to where we want them to be with feed intake.

If her poo is green or the color of the grain, she is eating way too much causing her issues. Along with her rumen being off, from this.

Also antibiotics given, may of upset her rumen too.

Have you taken her temp at all?

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
What color is her poop when she scours? Copper deficiency can also cause off and on scours. Back on Track from LOH as mentioned is good for the gut.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoa, lots of replies.

She's just as bad today as yesterday. We're taking her to the vet, again. Darker poo today, brown instead of green, more sticky, and all over her back end again. Smells terrible.

B12--I meant vitamin B complex. The one that comes in brown bottles, injectable. It does have B1.

I'm using both paste and powder to try to bring her back. And I'm doubling up on dosages, and giving her yogurt drench.

She really needs an appetite boost--she hasn't been eating much because I'm sure her stomach feels rotten. I'm just trying to get food in her, honestly. She is getting Calf Manna and beet pulp mixed just because she will actually eat it. If I offer anything but alfalfa, she will refuse to eat. She has nearly starved herself before (even when she doesn't have diarrhea), and like I said, when we put her out for the day she won't browse.

Her weight tends to be a problem. She's usually a 3 at best on body condition, and kinda small. It was to the point I did get her tested for G6S (she's normal). She is very much an un-thrifty goat. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of her long ago is that she throws gorgeous kids, but she hasn't given me a doe yet. Her issues don't appear to pass to her kids--they're all vigorous butterballs and grow very big very fast. Right now, all I am waiting for is the results of the pregnancy test. If she's not preggo, she goes away. If she is preggo, I will try to string her along until she kids and then pull the kids instantly to keep any of this from communicating to them.

Here is one of her kids. I want a doe with this conformation SO BAD.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Ugh keep up the hard work. I hope the Veterinarian can find a cause. Definitely ask for a fecal analysis to include BACTERIAL causes as already mentioned ecoli our giardia could be a problem. I don't believe this is a typical presentation of toxoplasmosis but I don't have experience with it. Mostly spread by very young cats.

I would try 5 straight days of B-Complex injections, 5 straight days of probiotics, 3 days of Banamine injection, and the rumen bolus while awaiting any results.

I hope she has triplet does hiding in there for you and raises them perfect!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts