Chronic hoof problems...still

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 29, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey
    In March I think a couple of my goats came down with foot rot. They're feet are in meticulous condition and look great. I gave the goats (3) all shots of penG for 5 days and one treatment of thrush buster and everything was great.

now this has been on and off since then..mostly because of this nasty wet weather. they have deep clean shavings in their shed 24/7. now one of the original does have it, and a new one developed it right after kidding (weird??)

I think I just need an antibiotic stronger than penG to kill this.
    I need them cured!! lol, these two look skinner than the rest.. they still eat and drink plenty, fight and play. :GAAH: and fair is right around the corner!!! :shocked:

:help: thanks

2. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I had a buck that would get scold all the time, LA 200 worked great, Squirt it slowly on the wound, should clear up in less than a day.

It's runny, so it helps if you put in the in the fridge to thicken up.

But this is for scold, I hear you can do the same for rot though.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    really? topically and not injected..hmm

they DO have pus in between the cloves of their feet. i clean it out often and apply thrush buster but It isn't working.
    Along with the pen shots...this must be a strong one.

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Yeah, they need to be really dry right there, that's why they are having problems. My goat I guess put a lot of heat off in there, and with my humidity in my state, he just got it bad.

I tried proxciding it, and applying Triple Antibiotic, it would only work for like 3 days (and I had to APPLY it once a day), after using LA 200 though, I applied it 2 times (1 time a day for 2 days, or as long as he seemed to have an issue), and didn't have to do it again. I didn't inject him though, cause he was already a wild goat, and I injected some of my other goats who were tame, and they just had FITS, so I read online that applying it directly to the wound helped the issue better anyway.

Is it pink/white or brown and nasty? Mine was Pink and White, a clean sore... man, poor little guy hurt a lot though :( I'll mention now that my goat was a 4 month old Boer :)

I also use LA 200 for when goats get pinkeye or their eyes look squinty, clears it up in 12 or so hours (this is an injection though...). Just last week 4 of my goats were leaking gunk from their eye, they weren't white or anything, but they were definitely bothered by it, one even had an eye closed a lot of the time, so I gave them a shot, and it cleared up so fast, and no reoccurance! \o/

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I used one cc, cause they are small animals (for injections). 1/2- 1cc for tropical should do it, just put it in a syringe (remove the needle when you got the doesage) and lift the leg up, so the hoof spreads a little to look in there, wait until they are calmed down (after lifting their leg they will kick a lot) then put the point between the hoof on top so when it squirts it rolls down (or if you can look really well into the dark area, see the wound, aim for it. Press the hoof together gently so some can stay for a few seconds. And you're done.

Just remember, squirt SLOWLY. I tried this 2 times... doing it fast just shot the stuff and got none on the goat! Most of it landed on the ground.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    lol. yeah I've been doing the thrush buster...luckliy they dont mind their hooves being handled, these are mature does. thanks

8. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Lucky you :) mine are all first years, lol :D

Good luck, I hope it works! :)

9. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    With all this wet weather I plan on putting mine in the stand this weekend and checking feet... and I expect to see some bit of rot on them. :veryangry:

Record rainfall in our area for the month of July. A total of 4 Sunny days...... Ack!!

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey melanie we finally got a good day up here!!

11. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I have had great success with pine tar... It is thick as tar and i apply it with a tongue depressor. It tastes bad so they leave it alone. If it picks up dirt it is OK just check it every day and apply every day. It will soften the hoof so it does not crack any more.

12. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I need to get some of that very bad for my dog.. >.> she bites herself so much, and wont stop.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok. i got the LA200

i gave each affected goat 1.5cc topically.. and waited two days.. one cleared up, and now just Katie and her kid Anberlin have it, (though I think Anberlin just has a sprain, because I started weaning her and the next day after the moaning was over she was limping, guessing she ran into something..not broken though..)

should I give it SubQ to Katie? whats the dosage ?

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wish I could help...but... I really don't know.... never used LA200 for hoof rot...hope someone will have an answer for you soon.... :hug:

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the dosage is 1cc per 20lbs - I would give it SQ not IM but either works.

So you got the stuff??

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks!

yep i got it.. I thought I sent you an email ...hmmm!

WELL Thank you STACEY!!
    ;)

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh yeah. yesterday I cleaned/trimmed her hoof yesterday and used Hoof N Heal (thx stacey) and the LA200. you can tell it stings!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad you got an answer Katrina..... :greengrin: :thumb:

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm didnt get any email - but thats ok. So glad you got it in enough time :D that was much faster then last time