The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the PNW it’s wet. Hoof rot is an issue for everyone with goats or sheep.

That said I have 1 buck, out of 20+ goats, that struggles with chronic hoof rot. He’s up on copper, I just tried upping zinc, he has the driest area we’ve got with a nice dry stall.

In all other ways he looks great. I’ve treated with LA200 multiple times and once with a follow up of Exeed (I think). He was back to being sore within a week.

He’s got good feet and stays trimmed, the rot/scald is between his toes on the sole and scald on the skin.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
29,985 Posts
Biotin is B 7.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have one family/bloodline that seems predisposed. The does are awesome and I hate to get rid of this line but every time I think I got rid of it, a week later one of them is limping again. And
it's only this family of all 14 does. No rain this week, ground is dry. I have a 3 yr.old, a two and a yearling and it is the oldest one's turn to limp. I use LA 200 & Koppertox. I think there is something in their foot conformity that must trap crap.
All that to say I am watching this thread....

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have one family/bloodline that seems predisposed. The does are awesome and I hate to get rid of this line but every time I think I got rid of it, a week later one of them is limping again.
Yes! I've known farms who culled heavy on genetics that were causing these issues, and hoof rot is now a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i agree with fresian49. LA200 works miracles. IMO far superior to Koppertox or anything else I've used. clean up the hooves and then slather affected areas with LA200. I bet you'll see results quickly. I've actually stopped using all the other stuff this is so effective.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve tried LA 200 multiple times already this year, both topical and injection with no luck. That’s been my go to but it’s not working on this buck.

Vet came out today (she’s awesome) and looked. She thinks the liquid LA200 just can’t stay on long enough. He has just enough growth that his toes rub a bit high inside.

She suggested tetracycline powder. Pack the foot and wrap with vet wrap in a snug figure 8 and leave it for 5 days. She’s out but can order it, although she thinks the local feed store might have some in stock.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a mare that is super prone to thrush (hoof rot). The first year I had her I tried everything on this mare and nothing would cure the dang thing. I finally stumbled onto no thrush and was at my wits end so went ahead and got it. That stuff is amazing!! Here is the link to it and if you go down there is a video that explains it (better then my 4 hours of sleep could lol). I think that first year it was a 3 day treatment and she was over it. The next year I didn't know how prone she was to thrush so she got it again and same thing it fixed her right up. Now during the rainy season I just go out and put it on about once a week and she has been thrush free for 3 years now.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...Sg6ZaDr867mvNthvy7PMqUIOfrn7nir8aAp_JEALw_wcB

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not a goat expert, but I have a gelding that was habitually lame...I got a good farrier in and he discovered what he called a floating abscess...basically, it was able to move so it never appeared to be in one spot...the vet had no idea, my previous farrier had no idea, we diagnosed and tried everything from treating for "hoof rot" to joint supplements, to...yeah I don't even remember what all. Could it be something more like this? And what appears to be hoof rot is just a distraction from some further issue deeper in the foot? I will say that when the farrier trimmed and removed the abscess it literally squired in his face...it was so bad. I cried! But the change was immediate! He needed shoes for a bit, at 25 he is still healthy and riding strong!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts