Chronic hoof rot

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CBPitts, Jan 21, 2021.

1. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Here in the PNW it’s wet. Hoof rot is an issue for everyone with goats or sheep.

That said I have 1 buck, out of 20+ goats, that struggles with chronic hoof rot. He’s up on copper, I just tried upping zinc, he has the driest area we’ve got with a nice dry stall.

In all other ways he looks great. I’ve treated with LA200 multiple times and once with a follow up of Exeed (I think). He was back to being sore within a week.

He’s got good feet and stays trimmed, the rot/scald is between his toes on the sole and scald on the skin.

Suggestions?

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Have you treated with Kopertox, Thrush Buster, or any topical medication?

Some goats are genetically more predisposed to having chronic issues with hoof rot, unfortunately.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Dr Naylor’s applied daily maybe?

Raw garlic daily.

Put pallets down on muddy areas.

MadHouse, friesian49 and alwaystj9 like this.
  4. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Cleveland, Tx
    I use biotin powder and add to there feed during wet months.. helps mine. Its foe horses but biotin is biotin. Lol

5. Hounddog23

Hounddog23 Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Cleveland, Tx
    That koppertox is good stuff also

6. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Koppertox, Dr Naylors, Thrusbuster has all been tried both solo and with abx too. Very poor results here.

I’ve had better luck with topical applications of LA 200/DMSO but I don’t like using it.

7. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Biotin is just a b supplement, correct?

8. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I have one family/bloodline that seems predisposed. The does are awesome and I hate to get rid of this line but every time I think I got rid of it, a week later one of them is limping again. And
    it's only this family of all 14 does. No rain this week, ground is dry. I have a 3 yr.old, a two and a yearling and it is the oldest one's turn to limp. I use LA 200 & Koppertox. I think there is something in their foot conformity that must trap crap.
    All that to say I am watching this thread....

9. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Yes! I’ve known farms who culled heavy on genetics that were causing these issues, and hoof rot is now a rare occurrence.

10. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I’ve heavily culled does but this buck is 4 and he had no problems until last year. He had hoof rot in the summer! Ugh. I love this buck but I’m getting to my wits end.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. friesian49

friesian49 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    I used the LA200 topically on my girls and it worked really well on them. Good luck!

12. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Is there a way to culture the rot and have it identified? Maybe you have a new resistant form of something. Maybe I am off base thinking this could be done?

13. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I’m not sure about culturing but it’d be great if a sensitivity test could be done!

The vet is coming out tonight to see him.

14. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    i agree with fresian49. LA200 works miracles. IMO far superior to Koppertox or anything else I've used. clean up the hooves and then slather affected areas with LA200. I bet you'll see results quickly. I've actually stopped using all the other stuff this is so effective.

15. CBPitts

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I’ve tried LA 200 multiple times already this year, both topical and injection with no luck. That’s been my go to but it’s not working on this buck.

Vet came out today (she’s awesome) and looked. She thinks the liquid LA200 just can’t stay on long enough. He has just enough growth that his toes rub a bit high inside.

She suggested tetracycline powder. Pack the foot and wrap with vet wrap in a snug figure 8 and leave it for 5 days. She’s out but can order it, although she thinks the local feed store might have some in stock.

16. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I have a mare that is super prone to thrush (hoof rot). The first year I had her I tried everything on this mare and nothing would cure the dang thing. I finally stumbled onto no thrush and was at my wits end so went ahead and got it. That stuff is amazing!! Here is the link to it and if you go down there is a video that explains it (better then my 4 hours of sleep could lol). I think that first year it was a 3 day treatment and she was over it. The next year I didn’t know how prone she was to thrush so she got it again and same thing it fixed her right up. Now during the rainy season I just go out and put it on about once a week and she has been thrush free for 3 years now.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...Sg6ZaDr867mvNthvy7PMqUIOfrn7nir8aAp_JEALw_wcB

17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I pulled this from my college books from Langston University. 20210122_123909.jpg 20210122_123924.jpg 20210122_123935.jpg 20210122_123944.jpg 20210122_124001.jpg

CBPitts likes this.
  18. Accidental goat mom

Accidental goat mom Member

Aug 18, 2017
    I am not a goat expert, but I have a gelding that was habitually lame...I got a good farrier in and he discovered what he called a floating abscess...basically, it was able to move so it never appeared to be in one spot...the vet had no idea, my previous farrier had no idea, we diagnosed and tried everything from treating for "hoof rot" to joint supplements, to...yeah I don't even remember what all. Could it be something more like this? And what appears to be hoof rot is just a distraction from some further issue deeper in the foot? I will say that when the farrier trimmed and removed the abscess it literally squired in his face...it was so bad. I cried! But the change was immediate! He needed shoes for a bit, at 25 he is still healthy and riding strong!

HMNS, CBPitts and Moers kiko boars like this.
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    They sell goat boots, similar to horse boots- rubber boots that keep the feet dry. Would treating your goat then booting, help?

CBPitts and Moers kiko boars like this.