Chronic hoof rot

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CBPitts, Jan 21, 2021.

1. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Here’s pics. It up in the flesh between his toes.

While I wait for the powdered tetracycline to arrive I’m simply treating with iodine in the pm and liquid dmso in the am per vet instructions.

For anyone that doesn’t know DMSO really stinks, so does hoof rot, and so does the buck! Hence the gloves!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I am questioning one of my does with possible hoof rot. What exactly are the symptoms?

3. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Foot rot is an anaerobic bacteria that eats away the hoof or skin of the foot. Wet, muddy, cool conditions are perfect for hoof rot. It has a very nasty smell and if it’s bad enough there’s a dark pus. It’s quite painful and if left untreated can irreparably damage the feet and eventually require amputation or euthanasia.

4. finliefanatic

finliefanatic Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Kennewick WA
    Question, when you apply LA200 topically, do you dilute or use full strength. Also, do you spray it on or just rub it on with a clean cloth. Thanks

5. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Use it full strength. Apply it by slowly squirting it between the hoof/hooves, and/or around the bottom off the hoof/hooves with a clean syringe without a needle on it. Hold the hoof steady and in the air for a minute or so after applying to let it seep in some.

toth boer goats, HMNS and CBPitts like this.