The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe I probably should cull but she is such a sweetie I just couldn't. She has one teat on her udder that lets milk at about 4 places. The other teat is fine. SHe developed mastitus for the first time after her second kidding. She is about to kid for the 4th time and it appears, as her milk comes in, that she is carrying mastitus in one side of her udder. Any ideas? I know to pull the kids and not let them drink that tainted milk. This will be tough as she is an awesome mom! Any thoughts on how to clear this up or is it a lost cause?:(
I tried keeping her as a "pasture ornament" but she is a maniac in heat.:eek:hlala:

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you don't want to cull her, and it hasn't gone away on it's own, then there are two other types of treatment for mastitis: treating her during her lactation, or dry treating her.

Since she is about to kid and isn't anywhere near drying up then you can try treating her while she's milking. You will need to buy some sort of Mastitis treatment like ToDay (this is the only one I know of, but I'm sure there are some other brands out there) and follow the directions on the pack. You will need to milk her out twice a day, 12 hrs apart, and after you have milked her out completely each time you will infuse the one side of the udder that has mastitis (if you think it's in both sides, or if it moves over to the other side, then you will need to treat that one too) with the tube of ToDay. You'll also want to make sure that you keep her udder clean, and wear gloves/wash your hands really well whenever handling her udder so that you do not spread it to any of your other goats.

There are also some holistic methods as well, but I am not really familiar with them.

Here is a good article about it from Fias Co Farm: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/mastitis.htm

Hope that helps and you can get your doe all cleared up.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
If she already has mastitis, then I would start treating her now. Milk out the side that is bad and start treating her with Today.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I would send in her milk for testing, so you know what kind of mastitis medication will work best for her. Then, along with the chemical, I would be treating her herbally. Chemicals work faster, but herbs, if you keep at them, do a better job of whipping the infection permanently. Fir Meadow has great herbs for the occasion. Best of luck! I know it's no fun! :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts