The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubian buck, about 2 years old currently 150# that for about 3-4 weeks, he's had scours. It's pale to medium green and it's more like pudding consistency. He has been dual wormed twice 10 days apart now, I have given cocci meds, he has had scour halt, Vit A, D, E gel, beer water, probios multiple days in a row, and ACV water. He has gotten GI Back on Track from LOH as well.

I just started last night a mixture of GI herbs, some detox powder we use (charcoal, bentonite clay, DE) as well as Digestzen, Oregano, Orange, and Lemon (for anemia) oils mixed in. I gave him a big dose last night (about 50cc) and then this morning at breakfast. I have gone out twice since, about every couple of hours and have dosed him again about the same amount. I have not seen any change in stool at all.

He has had any and all grains removed. I just removed alfalfa hay which they only got a limited amount anyway. They have around bale of good coastal hay 24/7 and they get alfalfa pellets twice daily, as well as the alfalfa hay which I just stopped for the time being.

He acts normal, looks fine but thinner, he won't gain weight currently. Eyes still a bit anemic so I'm treating him with red cell and lemon oil. The boys were out of minerals for a short bit...but I've refilled them. He had a copper bolus in March or so.

Any ideas or additional help? He is sold and supposed to be leaving the12th. I haven't been able to clear up these scours. Usually, all it takes is a few doses of the GI herbs and some digestzen and taking care of the issue (worms or cocci or feed) and we are over scours within a couple of days. Nothing seems to be working. What am I missing?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not checked his temp, I'll go out now and do that.

I checked the fecal a while back but May has been a super busy month and I haven't rechecked. I'll do that now too, good idea.

Super Moderator
Is there alot a new graze? Greenish poop can be dietary but when nirmal digestive support isnt helping also remember @goathiker sharing bankrupt worms can be greenish poop? I want to say Quest is what did the job on those?
We have real good success with tummyvtamer or Gi back on track Here..I have also had good results with a drop each lemon, wild orange, lemon grass, grapefruit, ginger and digeszen. Mixed in a few cc of olive oil. Took one dose for ny little buck who drank a but too much off mom.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, they are in a pen, it has some greens but it's been kind of dry here. Nothing new they have been exposed to. He was wormed with prohibit/valbazen 10 days apart. I'm going to do a fecal right now though

Usually, that's what I do and it clears fast but it's not helping currently.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would try Bovi- Sera
Thanks, will do that!

Temp was 103.0 (after fighting with him to get on my stand so I could do his hooves while I had him out)
Fecal didn't show anything. Also in the pen this morning his famacha looked like a borderline 4. But on the stand is was about 2.5-3. Can it change that fast in a matter of hours? I've never seen that, but I have seen different sores while checking throughout the day on animals.

Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
Ive used Milk of Magnesium, 5cc per 20 -25 lbs. With 4 squirts of Nutri Drench for 2 drenches a.m & noon. On the 3rd drench M.o.m.,dyne, and pig scour halt 4 squirts. Mine was 80 lbs. I did that for 3 days. Then added probiotic paste, and 1 25cc drench of flat dark beer. Then day 5, I gave electrolytes in a 25cc drench. After that mine straightened up.
I hope this helps

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive used Milk of Magnesium, 5cc per 20 -25 lbs. With 4 squirts of Nutri Drench for 2 drenches a.m & noon. On the 3rd drench M.o.m.,dyne, and pig scour halt 4 squirts. Mine was 80 lbs. I did that for 3 days. Then added probiotic paste, and 1 25cc drench of flat dark beer. Then day 5, I gave electrolytes in a 25cc drench. After that mine straightened up.
I hope this helps
Thanks. I really need to get some MOM for our stash.

Super Moderator
Famacha can change due to a few things..i have read always take it after the goats been up a bit..so if you go out and they were resting, Get them up and walking for 5 to 10 minutes. Then check. Also make sure its done in good sunlight and quickly. The longer you have the membrane exposed the deeper red it becomes..giving false read.
Hope this helps

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Famacha can change due to a few things..i have read always take it after the goats been up a bit..so if you go out and they were resting, Get them up and walking for 5 to 10 minutes. Then check. Also make sure its done in good sunlight and quickly. The longer you have the membrane exposed the deeper red it becomes..giving false read.
Hope this helps
I have read that too.This morning was def in the sunlight and after I was wrestling him to drench him LOL. On the stand, he had to walk a ways to get up there. I always "pop" the membrane out and look quick. I'm about to go out and check and see if any progress, I'll try it again in the sun.

Have you tried slippery elm? It helps calm the intestinal tract. I鈥檝e found it helps quite a bit when nothing else seems to work.
Well, it's in the GI Back on Track, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give extra. I'm going to go check on him and do some Bovi-Sera and I'll see how it's looking now. If still the same, I'll shoot some slippery elm pills down him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoo hoo, progress. Much more formed! It was pudding splats on the ground earlier and now more log formed. But there is some mucous. My experience, mucous is tapes or cocci. Both of which he has been recently treated for. Is there anything else it signifies?

Putting pic in thumbnail cause not all want to see poo haha.

Boy this one has been a doozy. Usually I clear them up within 2-3 days easily.

Attachments

Registered
I have given goats 1/2 of an immodium in the past with no ill effect. It seemed to give their system a little bit of a break while the medicine did its job. Typically 12 hours later their stool is back to normal.

Super Moderator
I have read a few cases where everything was ok but Immodium AD is not recommended for goats. It can shut down the gut action. I wouldnt risk it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have seen tapes in fecals before, not often but I have seen it once or twice. We deal with tapes at least a couple of times a year so it's one of those I think of if they lose weight while still having a good appetite. But this year I have been adding the clove oil and I have seen less of it. So that is good.

However, he hasn't gotten better. It has been back to plops again. Eyes have been...ehhh a 3. I have a doe (who hasn't had contact with him at all) with similar plops and lost a bunch of weight. Both are doing fine (not down, eating, drinking, peeing, pooping) just maybe a little less active I assume due to anemia. I have started aggressive anemia treatment and have seen a slight difference in both animals. However, poops don't clear.

I've been researching and see that Giardia can cause "chronic" off and on scours, weight loss, ill thrift. I haven't found any giardia in the fecal however it says sometimes because of how it sheds, it takes multiple fecals to show. Fits their symptoms but I don't see it in the fecal...in fact I don't find much of anything else anymore in the fecals. It requires Valbazen or Safeguard for 5-10 days. This may explain why my doe got better after that initial 3 days of Valbazen from the dual worming but then relapsed a few days later.

All during this last week I have been dosing herbals and oils as well. Again, I see a little weight coming back, minimal, and eyes starting to slowly come back pink, and they aren't down and out, just this poop. I have started some psyllum husk with their drenches today. I did start them on Valbazen again and we are going to go 7 days and see if this knocks it out. I do have to constantly clean their water buckets, so giardia could be an issue. There isn't anything else matching though.

This is a headscratcher. I usually have no trouble figuring out and clearing it up.

Super Moderator
LoH suppose to address Guardia I beleive but perhaps the dosing frequency is different? Might contact Kristy to see.
Scour halt is an antibiotic treatment to address bacterial scours. Can't remember if you tried it.
If all else fails..an old time member (haven't seen him on here in forever) who had a large kid crop production dairy thingie lol..said they gave kids with scours a single oral dose and sub q dose at the same time of Baytril. I think he said 1/4 cc each. He said since doing this they stopped loosing babies to bacterial infection causing scours.

Be sure to follow up with probiotics 3 to 4 hours after treatments..and for at least 3 days after treatment is complete

1 - 20 of 55 Posts