The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I did try Scourhalt previously. I can't remember if it helped Calla (I was doing other things too) but it didn't do anything for Ruler. He's the one that's been chronic.

I was thinking of reaching out to LOH and see what they think. I've been doing a double dose 3 times a day.

Hmm Baytril...we'll get through this and if it doesn't help, I suppose it's worth a try. I will probably keep up the probiotics for a week or so once they're over this. I don't know that they have the same thing, but she's gone on longer than normal, and he is WAY longer than normal. I will probably take him into the vet and see what they can find if this doesn't help.

·
Super Moderator
35,044 Posts
If nothing else, they keep us on our toes lol

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What cocci med did you give?

Giardia testing (not fecal float) could be done, either an ELISA or direct fecal smear.

Any cattle on property? Cryptosporidium is a thought.
ZuriCox is what I used. I can do Corrid but I didn't see anything in his last fecal. I will probably pull another fecal while I'm out there feeding and see if I find anything new.

I will look for somewhere to send that will do Giardia. Our vet isn't great with fecals, they won't specify. I do my own but I feel like I want another set of eyes on it.

We had a jersey cow maybe just over a year ago, incidentally, she did live in the pen with the bucks. Crypto came up but there's not a cure or med for it is there? I need to look into it more.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,663 Posts
ZuriCox is what I used. I can do Corrid but I didn't see anything in his last fecal. I will probably pull another fecal while I'm out there feeding and see if I find anything new.

I will look for somewhere to send that will do Giardia. Our vet isn't great with fecals, they won't specify. I do my own but I feel like I want another set of eyes on it.

We had a jersey cow maybe just over a year ago, incidentally, she did live in the pen with the bucks. Crypto came up but there's not a cure or med for it is there? I need to look into it more.
Not technically a cure but I did some research the other day and Tylan may have a positive curative effect. Like tylan 200, 1cc per 25lbs SubQ. Twice daily for 5-7 days.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And again, I don't trust toltrazuril products or zuricox right now... but I would say to send a fecal to meadowmist before giving another cocci med.
That is my plan. I was going to send one off to them and do another myself from the same sample and see what I can find. I'm not going to give him anything else (other than the herbs/oils and anemia support) until i hear back from them and compare their findings to mine.

Thank you for that info on the Tylan!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,663 Posts
That is my plan. I was going to send one off to them and do another myself from the same sample and see what I can find. I'm not going to give him anything else (other than the herbs/oils and anemia support) until i hear back from them and compare their findings to mine.

Thank you for that info on the Tylan!
Only other herbal thing I'd try... some green tea extract... powder form or green tea leaves if you had to...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Can you move them both to completely different pens? It could be they are picking something up in their current environment.
Have you tried dosing them with activated charcoal and milk of magnesia? If there are toxins in their system, that should help clean everything out.
They are both out foraging, right? It seems like goats are really good at picking foods to help heal their bodies and address whatever issues they are experiencing. Oftentimes, when I am seeing some issue in my herd, my solution is to turn them out into the woods. That often fixes the problem. And it stops them from reinfecting themselves if there is a bacteria, etc. in their regular pen. Kind of a whacky solution, I know, but it does seem to work!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well Ruler, who has had the issue longest, was switched to a different pen and it continued. And he's had no contact with Calla ever. The girls do have forage available 24/7, and she does go out and forage. The boys don't but I did give them some stuff yesterday and today they have access to a more grassy pen.

I have given charcoal multiple times. It's one of the first things I give when any scours or digestive upset are present. It didn't do anything. It's also in the GI Soother I give. I have MoM but haven't given it yet as I was waiting until this round of Valbazen was done.

Today, Calla's poop is large soft green pellets that are clumped together. Ruler still is plops. They are both getting the same treatment. Their current treatment right now is Vlbazen 1x a day. 50/50 ACV mixed with Orange, Lemon, Digestzin, and oregano oil as well as some Wormwood/Black Walnut tincture. I add to that Red Cell, b complex, slippery elm, and psyllium husk. Then they get drenched 2x a day with that. They recently had LOH wormer and gi soother 4x a day for 2 days and then 3x for a couple of days. With the oils. Anemia is very slowly getting better on both.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Well Ruler, who has had the issue longest, was switched to a different pen and it continued. And he's had no contact with Calla ever. The girls do have forage available 24/7, and she does go out and forage. The boys don't but I did give them some stuff yesterday and today they have access to a more grassy pen.

I have given charcoal multiple times. It's one of the first things I give when any scours or digestive upset are present. It didn't do anything. It's also in the GI Soother I give. I have MoM but haven't given it yet as I was waiting until this round of Valbazen was done.

Today, Calla's poop is large soft green pellets that are clumped together. Ruler still is plops. They are both getting the same treatment. Their current treatment right now is Vlbazen 1x a day. 50/50 ACV mixed with Orange, Lemon, Digestzin, and oregano oil as well as some Wormwood/Black Walnut tincture. I add to that Red Cell, b complex, slippery elm, and psyllium husk. Then they get drenched 2x a day with that. They recently had LOH wormer and gi soother 4x a day for 2 days and then 3x for a couple of days. With the oils. Anemia is very slowly getting better on both.
I somehow missed that you were giving charcoal already.
I hope you can figure it out! This has got to be so frustrating.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It's ok, I appreciate the input. Sometimes we don't think of some of the simple stuff so it's helpful for it to be brought up!

It is quite frustrating. They act fine so I'm not terribly worried but he can't surely go on like that. I'll try to get some pics of them this evening.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So Rulers poo is so the same. He has gained a bit though, so underweight for his age but he does look little better.

If I have some rounds of charcoal, will doing MoM make any difference? Are they both the same as far as just pulling out toxins?

Also, in their mineral trough, the CL Alkaline Neutralizer has been empty twice this month. It's not one that is typically gone through fast. I'm wondering if his rumen it too alkaline? I've also had to refill iodine and boron again. Some may or may not get related but I think the CL neut. Going empty is from him.

Calla maybe has gained a tiny bit, still too thin. I don't believe this is dairy thin either as she generally holds condition great while milking and is currently down a good bit in production. Her poop is a bit more formed but previously looked like Ruler's. I did hear her grind teeth today...sigh. Truly stumped. I might try to take a blood sample to the vet to run some tests. I'm not sure what else to do.

Diet...24/7 grass hay and 17% alfalfa pellets 2x daily. Same for Calla except she gets oats and boss on the stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
From what I've read, charcoal absorbs the toxins, and MoM helps evacuate them from ths system. So it might not hurt to do both together.
Have you tried eliminating the alfalfa pellets for a while?
I have no input about the more than usual consumption of Alkaline Neutralizer, but it's an interesting thought. Obviously something is out of whack.
I'm assuming you've checked for mold or possible spoiled/ rancid feed. I have had sunflower seeds get funky in the heat.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have checked but I mean we can miss tiny stuff. I have been muling over cutting put the alfalfa pellets for a bit. I do have younger boys in there...maybe I can throw up a creep.feeder for them.

Ok I'll try the MoM with charcoal one last time.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Another thought: I don't know where you get your feed, but with the supply chain issues we've all been experiencing, is it possible that some of your feed could either be going bad or been sprayed with something different than usual?
I know I recently read about Standlee hay pellets causing issues. I don't believe everything I read, but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Interesting you bring that up, a friend suggested the same thing about pellets being off somehow, sprayed or whatnot. I would assume it would affect more, but maybe those two are just more sensitive.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Interesting you bring that up, a friend suggested the same thing about pellets being off somehow, sprayed or whatnot. I would assume it would affect more, but maybe those two are just more sensitive.
I cannot verify anything about the pellets, but I know sometimes my goats really don't like to eat them. I always wonder if they know something I don't. I rarely feed the pellets, anyway, but I find it interesting how my goats will sometimes turn up their noses at them.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts