Chronic Wasting in Superb Milking Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    She was put down a week ago today and I collected serum to be sent to the lab for Johne's Disease testing (the ELISA test). They also sent a fecal culture. The poor thing was in terrible condition and she was suffering a great deal. It was the right thing to do. She got to go out on the pasture and be with her friends for the last time. It was a beautiful thing.

The result of the ELISA test for Johne's was negative. Thank God for that! They are still running the fecal culture and the result should take another 6-7 weeks.

I feel in my gut that it was some type of cancer (gastrointestinal or liver/bile duct), although I know how rare it is. The scientist in me is a little disappointed not to know for sure what caused all of this, but as long as she is no longer suffering and whatever it was is not contagious . . . I'm ok not knowing.

2. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    First off, I'm really to sorry to hear that she had to be put down. When it's the right thing to do, though...it's the right thing to do. I understand perfectly -- believe me. Really glad she got to spend a little time on pasture with her friends first, though. :)

With so many diseases and afflictions that we all hear about and discuss and help one another treat on a daily basis, it's really easy to not think about certain conditions which exist outside of what we consider to be "the norm"...like cancer, for instance.

Again...really sorry to hear of the outcome. :(

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Got the CAE & CL results back and they, too, were negative. Not surprising. She never tested positive in the past.

Thanks cmjust0 :hug: . She's a much happier goat now. They planted trees where they buried her, it's really nice :) .

I'm definitely not trying to diagnose her condition as neoplastic. I'm no doctor and I am new to work in the veterinary field. But from having my hands on her, being there to watch her clinical progression, running the tests, doing research, and knowing her history . . . It's just a hunch I get from this one. That's all. :shrug: Would have been great to know for sure, from an academic standpoint, at least.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    sorry she couldnt be saved but good to hear the tests were -ve and she isnt suffering anymore

perhaps you could do an autopsy next time something like this happens? I mean an animal that dies/needs to be euthanased and you arent sure whats wrong.

I find it gives me closure, being able to really know.

Again, sorry for your loss

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Did the vet take all the samples or did you take the samples and give them to the Vet?

I am so sorry you had to put her down. It is so heart breaking to do the right thing, but you did do the right thing. God Bless you.

6. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Thanks everyone :hug:

I am a veterinary technician so I was able to collect all the samples, run the tests (CBC, PCV, serum chemistry, rbc morphology, platelet count, etc.), and review them with a vet. I sent more samples and the results to another vet for a second opinion as well. I did not collect the fecal sample that was sent to the lab for culture, but I helped them the farm with packaging, filling out the forms, and appropriate shipping of biologic material.

We offered to do a necropsy, but the farm declined.