The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had weight problem in my goats until now. We have struggled with parasites intestinal and "brain worm " and have lost several goats in the past. Long story short, came up with our own worming plan and ditched the vets that lacked so much knowledge. We had a underweight issue for so long. Now they are very healthy with great rumen and filled out nicely . I have a wether Nubian with bladder tube that's getting fat. He only gets pasture/browse that are far from lush this time of year, and access to average hay at all times, no grain due to stones. Should I be worried, or let him go into winter with some extra weight. He is almost always wet due to his dripping tube and after winter coat comes on in full I often have to blanket him at night because he is wet and shivering. Maybe the extra fat is a buffer in his case? I know fat isn't good, but really can't see how to cut him back on food. Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

·
Super Moderator
59,212 Posts
You could limit his hay but that would mean keeping him by himself if the others need it. You could also limit his pasture time and put him on dry lot. But then you also have to consider the quality of his life if he is living alone to be so limited on his forage.

It really sounds like you have cut him down to everything you need to. Does he get ammonium chloride on a regular basis?

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OSU said to not worry about supplements for stones because he will have the tube forever. They said sometimes it doesn't matter what you do they will still get them. Comforting and encouraging huh! He was supplemented before the stones and it obviously didn't work, so we discontinued. He does this sad little quite cry when he is separated too, that breaks your heart. He does get a high quality goat mineral mix free choice also. Thanks for the input, I hate to take forage from him, hate to disrupt his stomach. Guess I need to weigh the stress or the extra weight. I guess I'd rather have him chubby and not stressed. His pal is an ancient retired doe that needs all the forage she can get. Sometimes we have to trick him with hay cubes or some browse in a bowl so he thinks he's getting what she has! Thanks for the reply, was starting to feel like a bad goat mom, with no options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts