CIDR ??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by capriola-nd, Jan 3, 2010.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just perusing through Jeffer's website and found Eazi-Breed 1/2 CIDR Sheep Inserts. (If you go to the Sheep/Goat Supplies, it is just down the page a bit.) Anyways, I've heard of this stuff before on here. I think Keren or someone else used them. Just curious if anyone here knows much about it. Safe or not? I realize it's labeled for sheep. . .

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Idk if they are safe or not, I just read an article in the paper that said that they have not been approved for use in goats yet, but breeders(especially boer breeders) have been using them for years. Personally I wouldn't use them because I'm not really a fan of something that messes with their hormones like that, especially since you don't know if and how long that will be transferred to their meat and milk.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know of some boer breeders who were on here that used them.

I cant see it messing with the milk since the does would be being bred and not generally in milk during that time. plus its just the natural hormones they have in their bodies.

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I bought 3 boer does that we wanted bred to the buck at the farm, so the breeder CIDR'd them and only 1 of the 3 took so I dont think their that reliable.

And they are inserted into the vulva so you can't be to sure that you won't give that goat a bladder infection or something of that sort.

We thought for a while about getting some, to know exactly when that doe is bred, but we decided to do it the old fashion way, naturally.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't mean to disagree with you Stacey but CIDRs are not natural hormones, they are artificial hormones which mess with the does endrocine system to make them think its time to go in heat. CIDRs are synthetic hormones just like lutalyse.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ick, I prefer to keep things natural. Thanks for the info!

7. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Olivia - I prefer things natural too. I have been on artificial hormones to make my body think it was time to go into labor (different then oxytocin -similar to lute in goats- which only encourages contractions not full scale labor). It was miserable! I have never been so nauseous and in so much discomfort. My other two children were 100% natural and it was so much easier!

From the experience standpoint I wont use hormones on my goats/horses/dogs unless it's an emergency.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I do keep Lute on hand for accidental breedings. But other than that, we'll stick with the way they were made! Although if I had the means to do AI, that would be pretty cool. My mom finds it disturbing. . . which it is (especially the collecting part!), but such a nice way to introduce new bloodlines.