The Goat Spot Forum banner

CIDRs, who uses them and what has been your best protocol.

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Lisa Storksen 
#1 ·
I am going to use CIDRs this season to have kids Dec/Jan for our fair in July. I have gotten the CIDRs and have read and watched tons of informational stuff, I keep getting different things, how long to leave them in, use of Lute and PG 600, use of just one over the other, some says PG 600 works the same as Lute, some say use both. Can anyone clear this up for me? Give me some advice from those who use them and have had success. I am breeding two first time fresheners and 6 does, those who have kidded before. All Boer goats. Thanks!

#2 ·
Following
I’m using CIDRS for the first time this year as well. From the info that I have read we are going to use this protocol:
Day 1-place CIDRS
Day 13- 2cc lute
Day 14- exactly 24 hours after lute give 1.5cc PG600 and pull CIDR.

I can’t remember who posted this originally but I believe they said they had a 100% success rates, maybe they will jump in with their experience :)

#9 ·
@Lisa Storksen A lot of people recommend lute or other hormones, seems to just be use what works for you. Personally I've had good results with CIDR in 7 days, give 1.5 ml PG600 at time of pulling CIDR.
I wound up doing just that. I left the CIDRs in longer than planned but with my job I had to. It is hard to find the recommended dose of PG 600 being it is not labeled for goats, so I used the recommended dose of 5 ml. I will try less next year, but I was only doing 5 does so I did not waste any that way. Is 1.5 ml the least you have used? Does it depend on the size of the doe?

#10 ·
Wow, that’s a big dose-that’s for pigs, which are much bigger than goats.
After you mix the PG, you can pull up 2cc(a little extra as it can lose some of its efficacy when frozen) pull up another cc for space, and freeze them. You don’t have to use it all at once.
The person I got my protocol from gives only 1cc to young does to help prevent too many kids.

#11 ·
I get so much mixed information on the dosage due to it not being labeled for goats. I got that dosing info from watching youtube videos of people using PG600. I did not use lute, just PG 600. Good Lord, I hope I don't have a ton of bottle babies! I hate the growing pains of the goat world. I should have asked for more info sooner, but not a lot of people commented.... we will see. LOL Thanks, I will try freezing it and not give as much, If I do it again. Still not sure the process is going to be worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.