CL and coughing?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, Jun 9, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm not sure if she got the results back or not.

Rowdy-She gave 3 of her does away to a rescue and they're fully aware they have CL.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Being able to test for those debilitating diseases is a great accomplishment in the science end of the goatworld, we all know it can make or break a herd...break if testing positive , adding value when testing negative. I myself don't test, would like to but the idea of a large vet bill for blood draws is impossible at this point, I'm too chicken to do it myself and then incurr the cost of the lab fees.
    Until the case of coccidia with my nigi buck 2 years ago, I never had any health issues with my goats....and I still have my "originals" so at 9, 6 and 5 years old if they were "positive" I would think that I would have seen something "off" by now.
    I pray that your friends goats are well, and the ones sent to the rescue find homes where the owners are willing to do the neccessary doctoring when those abcesses erupt.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Once my friend discovered her goats had the CL lumps she was very worried that I might have transfered it to my goats. I'm always at her house helping her with her goats and letting her use my stanchion. I wasn't too concerned with whether or not my goats got it because I'm not a breeder. I would keep my goats no matter what. I'd just have to wait until they die of old age and then get my dream goats :)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What a great friend! :hug:
    The chances of that happening is only greatest if those "infected" goats had the icky stuff on them while in the stand.

I hear ya there...my goats are here to stay and they'll be buried here when the time comes, pets first...the kids come with the milk :love:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That was really kind of her. What a great friend! :greengrin:

6. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Yep, Liz and RowdyKidz are right, definitely a great friend! :hug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member