CL and Johnes Disease Testing..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lupinfarm, Mar 27, 2010.

1. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I'm just curious, I tested both my girls for CAE (came back negative) but I didn't talk to my vet about testing for Johnes or CL. I was wondering how they test for these things? I read somewhere that doing a fecal culture is most effective for Johnes, but it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get an answer. How about CL? Neither of my girls show signs of either disease, and testing is so expensive that hardly anyone ever tests and usually treats after the fact here but I'm still concerned.

Also, how early can you take blood for CAE? We're getting 2 doelings in a few months and, as per usual, come from a farm that doesn't test but that does keep a closed herd. They'll be 12 weeks of age.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cl can be tested for at the same time as CAE using blood...it is also not reccommended to test kids until they are over 6 months of age, some will wait til they are a year old to test for accuracy.

3. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Thanks, I figured as much.

I had my girls tested for CAE a few months ago, so I guess I'll have to have blood drawn again. Darn. Oh well, may as well do it when the vet vaccinates the horses.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can blood test for all three (CAE, CL and Johnes) but the CL and Johnes blood test isnt 100% accurate.

testing the gunk from an abscess is the only true way to know for CL

you can also test the soil to check for Johnes

testing for all three is best done at 6+ months

5. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Humph. Well I've emailed my vet, but I'll be going in on Monday to talk to the cat vet there so perhaps I'll talk to her in person about the goats.

Soo annoying, wish someone had told me you could do all those at once lol, cause I would have said go ahead to the vet and do all 3.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can send in the blood yourself and save some money by sending it to WADDL - not the god of testing but it does do better work then most other places.

7. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I can't, I'm in Canada... have to go through my vet...

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I keep forgetting sorry