The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted three rescue goats. I had them tested for CAE, Johnnes, and CL. They were fine for everything except the sweetest one (Beauty) came back with a tieter of 1:32 for CL. What do I do? Apparently these three goats were kept together for a year and a half until the owner got tired of them and turn them loose on the highway. Therefore the other two have been exposed to her for a year and a half and a negative. I was hoping to breed them this spring. Now I don't know if I should keep her or put her down. My heart aches at that thought.

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
Retest in a few months. The CL test is a general idea of what's going on in your herd. The goat can sometimes have high titers for other reasons. Some can be exposed and fight it off. Watch for lumps for a few months and then retest.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
And just because the others were with her, doesn't mean they have it.
CL is transferred by contact with bacteria. her titer score is low so she likely doesn't have internal which means they'd only have it if she had an abscess burst and they took it in internally. If their tests were negative then they probably don't have it.

There is a thread here on CL and many methods on how to deal with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts