The Goat Spot Forum banner
141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
OR you test, move positives to their own pen or cull them. Make sure the negative pens, shelters and anything else is cleaned as best you can and test every 6 months for a couple of years. If after 2-3 years all your negatives remain as such, then you are pretty assured you are clean. Though, for as long as there is positive animals on the farm, there is always going to be a danger of them getting out and accidentally infecting a clean animal.
They can only infect another goat if a cyst is open and has puss coming from it. When I see a cyst start, daily I check them and it can take months before anything comes from it and I've had one goat form the cyst, it seemed overnight and I keep my eye on it a number of times a day.

·
Registered
260 Posts
AmyBoogie, I am really glad that you started this thread. I have always had a lot of questions about Cl. It is a lot to take in. There are so many different opinions. We are still new to goats, and have so much to learn. My husband and I are going to take our little ober herd to the vet to be tested soon. I am so afraid that some or all might come back with positive results. None of ours have any lumps on them, but that still doesn't mean one of them may not be carrying it. It is all very scary. Working with goats sure isn't easy. Especially for people like me that have so much to learn. Anyway, thanks for starting this thread.
I know this is an old post BUT I hope everyone understands that false positives are very possible! If a goats even had just exposure they can test positive even though they don't have CL. false positives are a big reason people lose goats. A positive result and many are IMMEDIATELY culled. Theres also a very good vaccine that is actually made from the very bacteria in the herd. You have to get puss and send it out to a lab that makes that specific strain of CL vaccine. Theres many different types of bacteria that's why just purchasing a vaccine doesn't usually work. Plus I'm not sure if you read but my goats vet didn't want to vaccinate my goats with just a vaccine that may not work on the strain my goat has...be extremely careful with cl vaccine until they make a better one I won't use it

·
TKC Farms
2,509 Posts
Well, even though this is an old post, I'm not giving the vaccine. I have one with it and I monitor her. There has been no change that I can see in almost a year. I just feed her extra things like garlic, vitamin C chewables, BOSS and oats and alfalfa. She is pregnant and due In January 2020. She still has the 3 small lumps in her neck. The vet told me not to lance unless they ripened. No hair loss , no size change and still looks great and full of energy.

Reactions: toth boer goats
141 - 144 of 144 Posts