The Goat Spot Forum banner

CL- does this look like a CL abscess?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Tom Colvin 
#1 · (Edited)
We got this buck about a month ago to breed for this season. I was told he was recently vaccinated. Today I noticed this abscess on his face and am very worried it might be CL and we just ruined our whole herd. He was rough-housing with our whether a lot yesterday and could have taken a horn to the face. We separated him out this morning but he jumped the fence into the other pasture just now. We got the rest of the herd contained in the back barn/pen and put up more fencing to keep him from jumping in. He is all alone and sad and keeps trying to get in with the rest. What can we do? We don't need to keep him any longer anyway and want him out of here as quickly as possible. (but don't want to sell him to someone if he's sick)

HELP!:ram:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I agree....how fast did it come up?..

#10 ·
I just noticed it yesterday- but not sure how long it was there- he's pretty shy and moves quickly. It seems to look bigger today. Should we lance it or leave it- read that if it is a salivary gland you shouldn't lance it. This boy can seriously do flying leaps over almost any fence. Had the rest in the small barn pen overnight and he just hovered by their gate all night- would not go sleep in his warm dry shelter and it was well below freezing. added more fencing above the gate between pastures this morning and it held him for all of 5 minutes before he was back with the herd (including 4 very young doelings we don't want to get pregnant, a couple of which might already be from last time he jumped the fence!). I had to put his favorite lady with him and he seems to have calmed down since he's not alone. I just really don't want her to get sick or for it to spread through the herd if it is CL. We already were going to sell him since he has had his time with the ladies, but don't want to pass a sick goat to anyone else. What should we do? Taking him to the large animal vet here would cost more than he is worth. Ah, goats.

#12 ·
That is not a CL location...I wouldn't worry about spreading disease

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. If it isn't CL, then how should I handle it? How can I tell if it is a salivary gland? I have cleaned and treated a normal injury abscess before with success, so if it's just that I should have no problem other than catching him!

#14 ·
You would have to really sterilize and clean the area. Make sure no hair ect is present.
With a new needle and syringe, you can tap into it to see if you get out clear, not smelly liquid. If you do, it is salivary gland. If it smells bad and has white or other color to it, it is an abscess. It must be ready to pop(softened) before you attempt to slice it open. Because there may be veins around it if it is lanced to soon and it may bleed out a lot. Make absolutely sure it isn't salivary.

If you cannot get anything out, I would be hesitant to do anything until you know what it is.

#19 ·
I have a doe now that has a salivary gland problem. Vet lanced it 3 times over a one month period I watch him and followed protocol and flushed it with iodine like vet did. Last time I did it I flushed with LA 200 and it went away for 3 weeks. Now it puffs up a little, sometimes more than other. She was 1 week old when I first carried to vet. When she became 5 months old and still carried it, I decided that if I took her to the sale barn, she probably would be a meat goat and if I tried to sell her no one would want her. She is a beautiful boar goat, just had the occasional puff up along her lower jaw line. Sometimes I rub it down and she will swallow and it’s almost gone for a while. I guess I’ll keep her as one of the gals She will be 1 year old the 22nd of December. You now have to look to notice it, but other people won’t see it that way I know. She is just one of the gals now. If it’s salivary gland, it’s not the end of your goat business. I don’t think it’s heireditary.

#15 ·
If he were mine, I would leave it be. It will either come to a head and burst or reabsorb in the next few weeks and the hair will grow back. If it bursts, you should flush it out with diluted iodine and apply antibiotic ointment. Once the hair grows back you can sell him.

I would house him with a buddy so he is not so stressed until you can sell him.

That's just my personal opinion and me being confident this is not CL or contagious.

#17 ·
Thanks- I have been and will check on how it looks every day. Unfortunately my husband works all week and doesn't get home til after dark. If we were to check with a syringe and/or lance it, it is definitely a 2 person job- one to hold him down while the other does the job, so it will have to wait til the weekend. He has his main girlfriend with him for now- they both want to be with the rest of the herd, but at least they have each other.

Thanks again for all the advice and tips- I panicked when I saw it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.