CL in goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TiffofMo, Jan 23, 2011.

1. TiffofMo

TiffofMo New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SW Missouri
    :leap: So i finally tract down someone that has what i want we will be doing some trading she gets rabbit cages i get goats. Anyway i will be getting 2 does and she will be breeding them for me and she will breed them every yr there after as long as she is into goats. Anyway her goats are tested for CAE and are vaccinated for it. But she said she did have CL in her herd. So how bad is this i cant find alot of info on it. Tried to do a search here and it said no info found. Should i look for anything when i go to pick out the 2 girls?she will be giving me the number to her vet so if i have any questions and such

2. TiffofMo

TiffofMo New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Just found an artical on here about CL says its very contagious to people. This goats are going to be pets for my kids should i not get them? It does say i can vaccinate if the vet knows the strand so maybe i could get that info from her vet and vaccinate them.

3. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Once CL is on your property, it can be there forever. Are you taking the adults, or the babies only? If you only take the babies as soon as they are born, and bottlefeed them, you should be ok. But you have to bleach your shoes, wash your hands, completely bathe the babies before you come onto your property.

CL is nasty, and I would never risk bringing it onto my property again. I did by accident, and I'm still paying ro it, financially and emotionally.

I say dont bring those does onto your property unless you want to run a CL only herd.

4. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    CL stands for caseous lymphadenitis. If you google that, you will get tons of hits. I agree with bbredmom. Once you bring it onto your farm it can infect not just your whole herd of goats, but other animals - and, it can live in the soil for several years, just waiting for another host. It's not something you can easily protect against - at least as far as I can tell.

5. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    There is a generic vaccine Case-Bac, which is meant for sheep but I now vaccinate my herd with. And you can have a custom vaccine made from the pus of an abscess within your herd. but neither is 100% preventative.

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I would not get them. Sorry. It is easy enough to get a CL exposure by accident, but you certainly don't want to do it knowingly. Some people don't think it is that big a deal, seems like that is often because they have it and can't get rid of it because it is in their soil. It is a very good thing she told you, this is a person you can trust.

Jan

7. TiffofMo

TiffofMo New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Well shoot we had a great deal worked out to. They are 1 yr old and never breed. She said she has never seen any absences on the goats im interested in but just wanted to let me know as she had it happen before. And since its in the soil they could have picked it up.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm really sorry that the herd has "seen" Cl. I agree with the others, this is not something you want to see in a goat, let alone dealing with it as a novice.
    It is extremely contagious and even if there are no external abcesses there is definate possibility of internal ones, this is a serious disease that can spread like wildfire and is not only painful to the goat but very detrimental to their well being. Some breeders are not as educated or as honest as the one you spoke with, hugs to her for being honest with you.

9. TiffofMo

TiffofMo New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SW Missouri
    So know i do have a question being these are my first goats and im wanting does which are more expensive could i find what im looking for under $100 that is CAE and CL negitive? Im getting these 2 for $100 worth of cages. So far everyone else i call that had them in my price range said they were pets and did not know about CAE or CL. At least this lady does and is tested negitive for CAE.
    And 1 more problem next door is boar goats before i knew anything about goats he told me he goes to auctions and buys his soo even if i do get CL negitive goat could his goat give it to my goats? They will be sharing a fence line. I thought i could go get some goats and not have to worry about all this. Wish i had room for cows they look easier to care for. Maybe im thinking this as i was raised on a cattle farm.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry you are dealing with CL.... :(

If the breeder... that has the goats.... that you are interested in ...tests for CAE and CL...and they are negative....I would stick with her....but... remember ...CL once in the ground.... will stay there ...for a long period of time.... for the next victim and can strike at anytime... even with the new goats you bring in ....that are negative to start on your place.... that is the scary part.... :shocked:

People that go to the Auctions... do bring in ...alot of disease.... so yes... that may be an issue... Sharing a fence line is bad... Do you at least have a hotline to keep your goats away from it? even then ....sometimes.... birds ....flies or even wind.... can bring to your property.... bad stuff.....I know ....this is not encouraging at all.... :( :hug:

Cattle are harder to deal with... at vaccination and trimming time.... goats are easier.... but ....like any animal types....... Auctions have diseases for all species unfortunately.... :( :hug:

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Hi, Tiff.

I'm sorry that your plans have been mucked up. I grew up on a dairy cow farm and then married into a beef cow operation. I really cared about my cows (and pigs and chickens and cats LOL) but nothing compares to the bond I feel with my goats. They are sensitive and onery, wild and quiet, with their individual personalities. Now that I have "discovered" goats, I would not be without mine, barring a tragedy.

Yes, you can find "pet" goats that are CAE and CL negative. It might take a little longer to find them for $100 but they can be found.

Best of luck with finding your caprine companions!