CL in goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Debra P, Jul 13, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes you did, thank you, that is wonderful.
    It has been a while hasn't it. ;)

Iluvlilly! and Debra P like this.
  2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    So for a year after starting the draxxin you did have some cysts come up? But then they stopped coming?
    I have a friend who has a few CL positive goats in her herd, she raised meat goats, as in to sell for meat, so it’s not the end of the world for her but she does go out of her way to keep it Contained to just the positive goats. I was telling her about you and your goats with draxxin and she is very interested in it and currently looking for a vet to give her some to try out.
    So how much are you injecting into the abscess? And you said twice a week? Hopefully she does get her hands on some because I’m super curious to see if she has the same results as you. When I first read the article about draxxin and CL I assumed it was just the cure for the abscess they had right then.

3. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Two years and you probably have not had this experience with your goats, now that I look back on those years of having to be on top of goats that get cysts, constantly, it literally feels like I don't have anything to do now except feed my sweet babies. I adore each goat..my special needs sweet girl passed two weeks ago her name was Rose I am beside myself in greif, lodi my girl that I protected for so much years I took this picture for my vetshe had gotten goat polio, but we caught up within hours and she completely got over the polio. I had to leave for a covid test because I had surgery on my eyes. Got back and found Rose had laid down in the sun and for some reason she couldn't walk so I got my vet, she was here within ten minutes! Because she was stuck in the sun, her temperature was 106.5 got the fever down, gave her banamine, and her temperature started coming down but still was having trouble walking. She was a nubian, they originate from Africa so never grew warm winter coats. I just couldn't take the chance that Rose would EVER AGAIN SUFFER either in the sun or how I found her the day we asked our vet to come that morning I found her laying down on her right side and she couldn't get up her legs were flailing and she completely refused to eat..I KNEW what she was telling me. I believe she was 13 but because I rescued her I'm not positive but she was bred constantly and her body was worn down
    And yes it's been two years since we've had a cyst THAT IM EXTREMELY PROUD OF! did you see the cyst on phoenix neck? Thst huge cyst slowly just DISSAPEARED sorry I got a new phone and it WON'T CORRECT SPELLING

Attached Files:

4. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Yes, I thought the same thing! I just thought I'd at least be able to keep it from bursting until I could SEPERATE them from the goats with no CL. I'm thrilled your friend is going to do this treatment! I never thought it would be the end of the cyst, that was a complete surprise, the next summer after my first summer of using draxxin, I kept looking for cyst on mellow! Her cyst were terrible! Usually 3 would form on her left ear, got to the point that she wouldn't come near me.
    Not one cyst for two years, after so many years have to constantly be on alert

I injected 1- to 1 and a half cc and it depends on how fast they grow, I'd inject it sideways as to not get it in the body, just the cyst. Your friend can get rid of CL in the herd once she's done injecting those with cyst. The first cyst will most likely come to a head and have to be drained.. BUT after that I know that the cyst won't come back. Tell her to watch for it to come to a head and drain it and flush with iodine. Please let me know how she does with this
    Truthfully I'm at shocked! I thought I was going to have to fight this rotten cyst for the rest of my life. Please go ahead and share this information to others so that they don't have to lose any goats. Oh btw just phoenix cyst never came to a head! That huge cyst just went away never had to drain that and she never has had another one ohhh how I pray that this helps more beloved goats TO LIVE AND NOT BE CULLEDI

I just wrote a BOOK TO YOU AND LOST IT I'm thrilled your friend is going to use draxxin! Tell her to inject one cc for smaller cyst and one and a half for the bigger ones. Depends on how fast it grows, I'd inject once a week or if it's growing fast I did not twice a week. Please look me know if your friend does use draxxin and please let me know how it works for her. I'm praying this saves many goats lives! Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd cull one of my goats. I love them way too much. I haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years, I don't miss it at all. My husband still eats meat, I just leave if the smell is too strong for me. It does make me nauseous now. Please let me know what happens and if your friend has any more questions please feel free to ask. I will give you my cell number if she needs to talk to me. My vet was wonderful and ordered it for me. I paid $245 for the smallest bottle and BELIEVE it or NOT I still have some left. And if this saves beloved goats, you have no idea how my heart would leap for gladness ❣️

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I am wondering how you handle the possibility of internal abcesses and the potential spread to non affected animals.....

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    None of my goats have the internal CL THANK GOD.. Mostly unfortunately the internal CL usually happens more with the poor sheep poor babies but I've been completely amazed that WE HAVE NO MORE CYSTit's been TWO years since one of my goat's had a cyst and it's been FABULOUS ❣️...I pray that More people understand that they don't have to cull a goat for CL Anymore..if they just listen to what I was able to do, people on the goat pages on Facebook said I was full of it! Ok but don't you want to know IN CASE YOU HAVE A GOAT GET A CL CYST
    that's when I decided to share my experience with all of you people, you must love your goats as much as I do ❣️

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Hope you saw my post...none of my goat's had the internal CL and I've read many things about CL and unfortunately it's mostly in sheep that get the internal CL...my goats have all been checked out and my goats vet is very happy with this outcome ☺️♥️

9. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Did I answer your question? I just had to have my goat's vet come two dogs got ahold of one of my goats I haven't been around I had to ask my good friend to care for my kids while I had eye surgery and my husband had to have part of his intestines taken out because of diverticulitis... the dogs got a hold of VALENTINO Now he's going to be alright, she gave him a good pain medication and vitamin B complex, antibiotics, tommorow I have to start him on meloxicam.. this poor baby! He is the goat that was horribly mauled by a bear two years ago!! I doubt you'd want to see the pictures.. horrific! Cara, my goat's vet couldn't believe it was him once again. She told him to STOP GOING ANYWHERE NEAR ANYTHING WITH TEETH but he's going to be ok.. as soon as I saw him I knew that I had to have my vet check him all over, there were bites we couldn't see after she shaved those areas I was able to see anyway I wanted you all to know that she treats all goats that people call on her to find out what it is.. she said she too was pretty shocked at the outcome ☺️♥️ this is Valentino as a baby ❣️

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Poor thing. Glad he will be ok.

Debra P and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Thanks so very much this poor boy was horribly mauled by the bear now three dogswe live on thirty acres and about ten are fenced in for my goats..my best friend has a girlfriend who has two britney spanyals and a lab mix, they closed off the pasture so that my goats couldn't be in with the dogs, BUT first thing they did is look for a breach in the fence then ran right for the goats.. this happened Saturday and I only found out Sunday Evening! Questions for all of you goat lovers??? I believe if they are brought back that immediately they'll smell my goats, Because of course there's droppings all over the four pastures I'm extremely scared that they will go after them again.. please don't get me wrong I love dogs and rescued pit bulls for many years..
    But I always protected my four that we kept from themselves! Had baby gate at each door and my husband made a gate outside of the doors...we never wanted to of course loose them and we knew one had a huge prey instinct! I was walking Peggy Sue and before I knew it she had a skunk in her mouth. I never even saw the skunk... anyway please advise me I can't allow any of my goats to be afraid or mauled... they said that they have muzzles BUT yesterday jack and I both noticed that all the goats were still on high alert I don't want them to always be like that, one named Onxy refused to eat yesterday..she only picked at the hay.
    Advise please and thank you? I realized when I was just about to post I should have written on a new post.. sorry I'll remember next time I posted a picture of my dog, a rescue from Georgia, RESCUED right before going into the euthanasia ROOMbut I have never showed Lexie my goats, Because she has a hunting instinct.. the goats are in the back of the property Because I didn't want them to close to the road IN CASE OF STRAY DOGS

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    I know I feel awful for this little guy! I have to make sure nothing like this EVER HAPPENS AGAIN. Valentino's injuries were much worse after Cara shaved his fur so she could see exactly what happened.. not good and I wanted to ask if any of you have had something like this happen to any of your animals

14. ksalvagno

Not to that extent. But definitely want to do a full course of antibiotics.

Moers kiko boars and Debra P like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You have to be sure to flush any puncture wounds with a weak tea color iodine/water solution daily 2 x a day for a while.

Don't allow it to scab over, with puncture wounds, this will allow it to drain as you are flushing it daily.

Always shave area's affected, so it is easier to watch and treat the area.

If it is a ripped out area, spray the area well with iodine/water as described above.
    Makes sure the area stays clean, keep the flies off if you have the issue and watching out for infection.

Start antibiotics and give tetanus antitoxin, if a goat hasn't had a CD&T vaccine and/or booster shot recently.

Moers kiko boars and Debra P like this.
  16. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Ummm I don't know what CD&T shot is..Cara my goat's vet scrubed the areas very well and she came back today to see how he is healing, she said that the injuries look much better, if they were looking more infected she was going to put a drain in.. but she was pleased with his progress. Cara was the vet who SAVED his life after the bear attacked.. she calls him her miracle goat! She's been a farm vet for almost twenty years and said that she never expected him to live.. and she said his injuries were so bad that she thought as she seemed his wounds he'd die on her. Never before she said, has a goat with such HORRIFIC injuries lived through this and she felt awful that it was him again..no worries about bugs getting inside the wounds, we live in Rhode Island and it's snowing right now. I put a coat on valentino Because Cara had to shave his neck and left leg..I noticed him shivering and I was glad I had the coat. With the bear injuries I did have to flush his wounds three times each day. I didn't want him to get picked on after being in the sick house, so I would put a long leash on him and take them out to forage..I wanted him with the others as much for I could as long as I was right there with him ❣️ thanks so much for your instructions I truly appreciate you caring about my little man

17. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Ohh and when he was injured by the bear it was in August so I was applying the spray medication Cara gave me to keep bugs out. Right now no bugs like the snow ️ but he did need the coat I always had to have a coat for my rose I lost her in September I had posted about what happened with my sweet Rose it's extremely hard for me each time I lose any of my goats, my bleeding heart of course and that's just the way I am..I adore each and every goat I've RESCUED.. from bad situations and I stopped eating meat about twenty years ago..yup I love all animals ❣️❣️❣️❣️

18. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Cara my goat's vet gave me a week of antibiotics shots for Valentino, and meloxicam, vitamin B complex he's doing much better now, except that it is snowing right now and I noticed him shivering, I put a nice warm coat on him.. thank you very much ❣️

Moers kiko boars and ksalvagno like this.
  19. ksalvagno

Glad he is doing better and you had a coat for him.

20. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi Debra. On the draxxin. I see it comes in 25 mg..or 100 mg in the strength. Which one did you use? Thanks