The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 6 goats
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we bought these does that were already confirmed bred to a 100% registered buck and they were all vaccinated for cl but now one at the ingection spot right behind the shoulder is balding like cl so my question is cl or no?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem we have is she's one of the hardest ones to catch and we really have no place to block her off from the others as we ripped apart our pens because of cl

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Any abscess will bald, not just a CL abscess.

Find a way to set up a temporary pen and get her in it. Wood pallets, horse trailers, welded wire panels are all quick & easy ways. For the spookiest goats, it's easiest to run the whole herd into the holding stall/pen then let out the ones you don't need one by one. You gotta get that thing lanced & tested.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any abscess will bald, not just a CL abscess.

Find a way to set up a temporary pen and get her in it. Wood pallets, horse trailers, welded wire panels are all quick & easy ways. For the spookiest goats, it's easiest to run the whole herd into the holding stall/pen then let out the ones you don't need one by one. You gotta get that thing lanced & tested.
We contacted the seller he said that the access from the vaccinations will pop just like cl but its not contagious he's only had one goat with cl on his dark before he started vaccinating so I guess it was just my worrying over cl as I've never had CL vaccinations until this year

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
So... he had one goat that had active CL abscess and then he tested his whole herd then vaccinated? Or he had one goat that had active CL abscess and so he vaccinated his entire herd without knowing if any others were positive?

If she was a CL positive goat, and he vaccinated her, that doesn't mean she won't spread CL all over your property. He may not understand the limitations of the vaccine. The stress of moving/purchasing/integrating to a new herd is a prime example of the time a CL positive goat that has never abscessed before will abscess.

Any type of abscess will lose fur, & pop, and any type of vaccination can cause an abscess. It could totally be a vaccine abscess but if your goal is a clean herd, I would recommend testing.

WADDL charges $45 to test the pus.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... he had one goat that had active CL abscess and then he tested his whole herd then vaccinated? Or he had one goat that had active CL abscess and so he vaccinated his entire herd without knowing if any others were positive?

If she was a CL positive goat, and he vaccinated her, that doesn't mean she won't spread CL all over your property. He may not understand the limitations of the vaccine. The stress of moving/purchasing/integrating to a new herd is a prime example of the time a CL positive goat that has never abscessed before will abscess.

Any type of abscess will lose fur, & pop, and any type of vaccination can cause an abscess. It could totally be a vaccine abscess but if your goal is a clean herd, I would recommend testing.

WADDL charges $45 to test the pus.
He tested them all before hand then culled and vaccinated all his current goats, they had the CL vaccine access right behind the shoulder where he shot them one has already popped that we didn't notice but no other signs of bumps in anyone else

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All our goats are tested this year and vaccinated but we did a bump test today and the only ones that have bumps are the ones vaccinated with cl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts