CL POSITIVE.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lupinfarm, Jul 11, 2010.

1. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I've never noticed this before but I grabbed Cissy to stop her from ramming April and I felt a lump on her neck! Sure enough, there is a sizeable lump (about the size of a quarter). I don't remember it being there before and since I hook them up to a leash everyday I certainly would have noticed a freaking lump. I checked Mione's neck and she has nothing. It is off center about halfway down her neck. Can things ever go right around here, so now I'm all worried its CL. Its covered in hair and its not especially soft. Mum thought maybe a benign tumour? I suppose thats entirely possible? Or a horsefly bite?

Someone help me out here, any other ideas aside from CL? Of course they weren't bought tested so naturally I have to expect the unexpected but I did have them tested for CAE and both came back negative. Worst of all I'm leaving tonight for Toronto and now not only am I leaving Cissy the evil in with poor little April the newbie, but now Cissy has a freaking lump. The lump is not near her jaw line but further down on her neck.

FYI, No one has had shots recently

:/

Oh and my mum swears the lump felt warmer than the rest of Cissy's body. I don't have the "magic hands" and I can never feel the difference between temperature but I trust her.

Here is a shot of the lump, I had to outline it because she is white and it is white. I don't remember this lump being there this morning and I handle her in that area every single day.

[​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: LUMP on Goats neck!

She didn't get a shot or get blood draw there did she? That would be totally normal. Otherwise it could be a lot of other things than CL...possibly a bite from something...she could have fallen on something and caused it to bruise, etc. Just watch it...if it starts to lose fur and I think a lot of those CL "lumps" will puss? if I remember correctly. If it gets quite a bit bigger you can stick a needle in and see what's in it. I wouldn't get to worried yet. Just keep an eye on her.

3. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

She had blood drawn in that area about 6 months ago. Vaccines are done on her back. The thing that gets me is that I don't remember it being there this morning even, and this phot was taken at about 5pm.

I'm hoping its just a sting (Dragonfly, Horsefly, Bee sting) OR a "normal" infection of some sort. My mum got a splinter in her finger about a month ago and it came up in an abscess with pus. It was a bad infection but just an infection. Cissy and her Sidekick Mione often rub down a fence with PT posts in it which they do every morning and several times throughout the day.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

fly bite, bee sting, injection lump, etc those are all other reasons for a lump like that.

CL lumps dont just suddenly appear and grow large enough to see - But I would still keep an eye on it and if it comes to a head take the gunk to be tested for CL thats the best option.

5. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Thanks Stacey, We are having the vet come out. We're a little on the broke side right now but since I am having the vet out later in the month to float my ponies teeth this bill can go on our account to be payed after the pony's appointment.

ANYWAY, My mum swears there is a point kinda like a pimple but I didn't feel anything personally and I was definitely prodding and poking it for a good while.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

its so frustrating that you cant do it yourself since you are in Canada but at least your vet will help you out there. Im sure its just fine, but the peace of mind will be good for you

7. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

It sucks but there is nothing I can do about it. The good thing is our practice ended up with a vet this year that has a special interest in goats (she is the one that took blood from both Cissy and Mione for their CAE tests).

What is worse is that I don't have isolation housing for her so if she is positive we'll have to figure something out (euthanization or rehoming to a place that doesn't care about CL) and have both the new girl (April) and Mione tested for CL.

Its not bad enough already that they (Cissy and Mione) have April cornered ontop of the hay feeder. Sigh.

[​IMG]

And I'm not even home. I've had to go to Toronto (2 hours away) for business for my school stuff, my mum is home and she has to meet/greet the vet tomorrow with a timid/skittish April and deal with Cissy and Mione too.

8. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010

Everyone has become so paranoid about CL and CAE that anytime a goat limps they're suspected of being CAE positive and the slightest lump is immediately fretted over as if it were CL. That lump is way too big to have gone unnoticed by any but the most unobservant handler, and you certainly don't sound like that kind of neglectful goat keeper. I'll bet it's not CL. As said before, it's a sting, a bruise, some other kind of abscess. Watch it and if the hair starts falling out, get it checked.

9. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I know! Its like the plague. Its the same with horses, we have a pony that doesn't drink a lot but drinks a lot in one sitting in the winter months and every single winter I get all fretted up over freaking colic and she never colics :/

Mum is calling the vet out, I might get her to wait a day or two to keep an eye on it and call if it gets bigger.

10. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

We have the vet coming out wednesday at 1:30pm, so we'll see what happens. that gives us a chance to keep an eye on the lump for a couple days as well.

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho

From what i've read CL is acctually more of a pain in the neck to deal with than CAE. Atleast CAE is manageable. But not all bumps are CL, the goat may have a bug bite, or an injury, or the lump is a result from an injection-except in your case that one seems to be out.

12. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

I'm very much so hoping its not CL and its just a bug bite or an infection of a different kind. Both Cissy and Mione have tested negative for CAE thank heavens but I didn't have them tested for CL. Testing is... an interesting journey here and I wasn't sure if they would/could even test for CL.

We cannot keep her if she is CL positive as we just don't have the space to keep her isolation and it would not be fair on her either being away from her friends.

I know it is only like 80% effective but if she is negative she is getting a Case-bac vaccine, both her and Mione will be. April has already had one from her breeder.

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Does she rub herself up against wooden posts or such? To me it looks like she may have picked up a splinter or something and that's a common rubbing area (at least for mine). We had a CL scare (was negative) and my doe STILL has an acorn size lump in the same spot several months later. No smaller, no bigger, just there. I wouldn't really get too upset about it, especially since it isn't in a "common" location for CL.

14. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Yes she does. At least once a day she rubs (her and Mione do this) they run/rub down the goat pen fence which consists of about 15 PT 4x4 posts. My mum now swears that it has gotten bigger, not a lot..barely noticeable... and has... seperated? I guess and is kind of floating under the skin. Thats what she said to me earlier but I think she's second guessing herself because she's not really sure. We're trying to get the vet out earlier than Wednesday. Apparently our vet does not understand the gravity of the possibility of CL, because I'd rather not have my soil infected with it and Wednesday is her "first available appointment." great. So if it IS CL and it bursts before then? Right...

On the other hand, Mum says it does not appear to be itchy, it still has all the hair on it, ect.

15. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

This is how she described it this evening..

"more round, like a large marble and kind of separated from the body.. like floating under the skin i guess"

that kind of sounds like a foreign object stuck under the skin creating an infection, but i won't know anything until probably wednesday if she can't get the vet to haul butt out to the farm tomorrow and i'm not even close to home and neither parent will LET me go home.

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

From what I read, if she can take a needle attached to a syringe and express some fluid out of the lump it's not CL. If she can't, it still may be. That's probably what I would try first (and did try before taking our girl to the vet for a CL test). I couldn't get any fluid out, but it was still negative. But if you can get some fluid out you are ahead of the game! :wink:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

CL wont just grow that quickly over night so relax let the vet do it, she will be there tomorrow which is not bad. It doesnt sound like it will be bursting on its own anytime soon.

18. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Vet came

She says she doesn't believe it is CL (and infact she said ITS NOT CL, DON'T WORRY) but she said its a good thing we called her BECAUSE it IS an infection (likely a splinter from the fence Cissy enjoys rubbing herself on) and it is very infected but the kicker is that it is right over the jugular and there was a risk of Septecemia. She drained it, gave Cissy a shot of antibiotics and blukoted it.

She said it is not a common place in her experience for CL abscesses to show up. I don't believe mum had the pus tested because of the cost ($40 alone for the test, that doesn't include vet fees and shipping, ect.) however I will have the blood test done when I have some money. Just for my own sanity.

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I knew it wasn't CL... not in the proper location for it.....Glad she was seen.. by your vet....and now is on the road to recovery.... :thumb: :leap:

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Re: LUMP on Goats neck! UPDATE: Vet came out!

Glad you caught it in time before your little girl got septic! :applaud: