CL Q?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 1, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've been interestedd in getting these goats for awhile, they're boer, CAE, Johnes NEG. but here's what I got today in email.

so.. what do you think i should do?

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Everyone has their own opinion and has to make their own decision about this. It is great the people have been so honest. If it was me I would not buy the goat. It is really very sad that this has happened to them, and I think a great mistake not to have had the pus cultured.

My vet, who is a goat expert, thinks the CL blood test is worthless because it results in too many false negatives as well as false positives, so testing is only valid when it is culture of the pus from an abscess.

I don't know what he thinks of the vaccine, I am going to see him soon and will try to remember to ask him. But it does cause positive blood tests, as they say.

Jan

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm....that is difficult to say... if it is ...or isn't......tough call.... :chin:

Do you know the exact location of the abscess ? Maybe ask if... it is in a vaccination spot?

If they were vaccinated ...with CL vaccine ...there will be a low reading for sure..... :hug:

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    With what I've gone through the past couple of months, with a goat we weren't sure of having CL - I'd be extremely leary bringing in a goat that could possibly come form a farm that might have had CL. Great that these people are honest, but I'd be so worried, and always second guessing, especially if a bump or lump ever came up.

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Our goat had a bump in the right spot and we had a CL titre drawn to test for CL. It came back as weak positive with a level 4 (if I remember correctly). Our vet said that was negative for CL but I called the lab anyway myself. They said a weak level of 4 was negative for CL (would be 16+), but that level indicated prior exposure or vaccination for CL. So, I would think the breeder could test for CL and a low level would show positive for vaccine but not for actual CL. At least, that was my experience. :shrug:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, so i guess the abscess was under her ear, on her upper jaw.
    I'll see if she can pull blood from the other two.

7. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Personally I would not risk it. Once CL is on your property it most likely will always be on your property. Too many CL free goats out there to take the risk as far as I'm concerned.
    I have enough to do already. Having to quarantine a goat every time an abscess developes and then spend the time draining and destroying the pus is something I will try to avoid at all costs.
    And don't forget that CL can be transmitted to humans as well.
    My two cents.

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Sounds too much like CL to me.. I'd pass, but you might also make a recommendation to your friends to begin Case-Bac vaccinations on the rest of their herd. Lots of folks think they have to have the CL vaccine custom made, but that's just not the case. In fact, I know someone who had the vaccine cultured and gave it for several years with very little success.

When she switched to Case-Bac, her CL problems started disappearing.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It does sound like... the area for possible CL.... :( :hug:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    k. I'll pass. I'd hate to bring it here!

thanks you guys :hug:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California