CL question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bigoakfarm, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. bigoakfarm

    bigoakfarm New Member

    228
    Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hi all,
    I sold a buck about a year ago because I had too many at the time but after I saw his daughter freshen this year, I was really wishing I had kept him instead. Well, lo and behold, the buyer has decided to get away from the minis (this is a nigie buck) and has asked me if I want him back. woohoo! I have been having to restrain myself from calling and asking him to sell the buck back to me and now I get the chance to bring him home after all. I LOVE this buck's daughters and his breeder is going out of business so no chance to ever get my hands on another one like him.

    Now to the problem.....the buyer has a doe (or possibly more than one) on his property who has had CL. No abcesses at the moment and he has drained/treated the ones he had but he HAS had the CL virus on the same property where the buck is currently housed. It's there and this buck has been living with those does.

    Is there any hope? Testing him before he comes home isn't really an option because he will still be living in the same place and there is just a chance that even if he is negative the day the bloodwork is sent off, he may come into contact with the virus while waiting for the results. It won't work. Here, he can be housed in a way that he will never come into contact with any of my herd for as long as need be until the results are conclusive that he is negative for CL. But if there is little to no hope that he is neg. I don't want to take on the housing and disposal of a CL pos. goat for no reason.

    So...do i bring him here, isolate him, test him and hope for the best? Or just let him go on to whatever home he ends up in? (He'll be going to the sale barn if I don't buy him and this is a VERY well bred buck with some awesome milking daughters already on the ground - at least one of which earned her star as a FF). What are the chances he is NOT carrying the CL virus?

    I just don't know anything at all about this virus other than I have always worked hard to avoid it. Fortunately, I have always tested and always had negative results. This is not a disease I have any experience with what-so-ever. Any ideas?

    Kristen
     
  2. Muddy Creek Farm

    Muddy Creek Farm New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have no clue about Cl, personally I don't think I would take the chance. What breeder is going out of business?
     

  3. sparks879

    sparks879 New Member

    Personally i wouldnt take the chance. CAE ok i can deal with that but CL i would never want to even think about dealing with. If there is any cahnce the buck has it then i wouldnt take him on. The facts about CL is its very contagious once those abcess' are open. Even if the farmer had them drained, how did he do so? right into his dirt? or onto the floor of the barn. If you brought the buck home and isolated him for a year, say six months down the road he turns up with and abcess that breaks. bam your property is contaminated. now if you could house him on a different piece of property away from other goats for a year, have him have all his own stuff, test him several times over a year then you may want to consider it. But thats a lot of work. You have worked hard to maintain a clean hed. I think i would turn my back and walk away from the blood lines. Or if the original breeder is selling out see if you can get a relitive of his.
    beth
     
  4. Tog Lovers

    Tog Lovers New Member

    182
    Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I wouldn't take the chance either. If he does have CL then there would be the risk that the kids you already got from him would get it. Then no part of his line would carry on.
     
  5. bigoakfarm

    bigoakfarm New Member

    228
    Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    :( Yeah. You're all very right. Deep down, I knew it. I just didn't want to give up. He won't be coming home after all. I've done quite a bit of reading in the matter and I just can't expose the rest of my herd to it by having it anywhere near my property. What a shame :tears:


    Kristen
     
  6. enjoytheride

    enjoytheride New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    There is a good chance the buck wouldn't be infected depending on how the abscess was handled. But you wouldn't know that for a very long time. It can take a long time for external abscess to show up and blood work, while good and helpful, is not perfect. So unless you would be willing to isolate him and check him very carefully the whole time, it would be a risk I think.
    I wouldn't take a possible CL animal again if there was any risk of it myself.
     
  7. goathappy

    goathappy New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree with ETJ, there is a possibility that he might not have CL, but I personally wouldn't take a chance either.