The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from an email I got 1 1/2 hours after my post went up. Just so y'all can see what these scams look like.
The address it was from:
Margaret Sanders<[email protected]>
The text:
" Good Morning, Thank for the response to my husband message regarding your CL item and We are ready to make the purchase, But we won't be able to meet in person with the cash pick due to our work schedule, we are also in the process of moving after our daughter's wedding, so we are fully occupied but everything sounds good with the price & the conditions posted on the Craigslist, My husband will proceed to overnight a Cashier/Certified Check to you through FedEx & I will arrange for someone to pick up the item from you after the Check fully clear your bank. An additional $50 will be added to the original asking price for the reservation so you keep this only for us. Email me the below information to overnight the check out ASAP

Full Name to be on the check...
Address to overnight the check...
Final asking price... & cell# to contact ....

Kindly Acknowledge the receipt of this email with the information requested to issue the payment so that you can get it within 24hours.
Thanks"

They also hit my "burner"/sale phone with requests for more information about my sale item...never referred to a goat.
None of the questions made sense and the full location was never posted in my ad.

·
Administrator
85,812 Posts
Thanks for posting this so others know what to look for.

When you get a message saying “item, that in itself is a scam, especially when you are selling a “goat”.
If you ever feel something seems off or to good to be true. Ignore or report it.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
Wow, this almost seems as if the main purpose was primarily to obtain your personal information. With the name, address and phone number being asked for, with an offer of extra money as a lure, my first impression would be whether or not this was an attempt to case out the farm. Maybe help themselves to some livestock. Have you reported the response to your ad through Craigslist? Not familiar enough with Craigslist to even know if it's possible to do so. Scams are plentiful recently, so glad you suspected this might be one. And, 2nd the thanks for posting in order to alert others.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ya I get those text all the time when I post something on CL.. and I had messaged them back and they said that they were busy with their daughters wedding also.. and then a few days later I got another from some else but the same thing and they were also having their daughters weddingand I told them I was like seems like everyone these days are having their daughters wedding.. and I also told them that we do not do check we only do person in cash or via PayPal and then they stopped messaging me so..

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
789 Posts
We always type our phone # like this five48-2three9-7sixfour8 (just a random # btw so don’t be trying to scam it lol!)

But, even if you do it like that, there’s always still someone trying to get your email…

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,719 Posts
Wow. I just don't understand some people these days. Thanks for the warning, so far (knock on wood) I have not received anything like that.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I got the same response to an add on another buy/sell website. I knew it was a scam, but I played along. They actually overnight FedEx'd a "certified" bank check for $1500.00 to me for a $300.00 doeling. A few days later she emailed, asking if I had gotten the check. LOL I said yes, but advised her that I was not falling for the scam. She kept emailing back asking about the money, saying she didn't understand the "scam" thing.. LOLOL

She said she was from Maine. The return address on the Fed Ex package was a moving company in Cali, the address on her email was in New Mexico.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My cousin tried to sell a coffee pot on CL one time and was scammed. The guy, who said he was from Maine, told her that he had sent the check for it but it never came. When she asked him about it he told her that it must’ve gotten lost in the mail. He said that he really needed that coffee pot so they should just send the pot and the check at the same time and they would cross in the mail. She fell for it, sent it, and the check never came. She could never get ahold of the guy again, he must’ve blocked her or changed #.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I received a version of this email when I sold a cockerel on Craigslist a couple weeks ago. They offered $70 over the asking price but couldn't come in person because of Covid precautions. Wanted to pay with a cashier's check, lol. I didn't engage, just blocked and deleted. $90 for my "oops" rooster would have been nice though, haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts