CL

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sparks879, Oct 30, 2007.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

So I started a new thread on this one just because i din't want to take over the thread in the healthsecion.
    To answer any questions, Yeswe had one 4-her that we heard through the grpevine thata couple of her goats had testd positive for CL. We did a lot of research as a club to find out more about the disease. AS a club we deided to offer a clinic, a friend and i drew blood for anyone tht wanted to attend, this included an 4-her,we even put a ad in the loal paper. It was a lot cheaper then havibg the vet out to doo. All in all we drew blood on sixty something goats, not including my own herd. I thought it was very successful. We then had other people that didn't want to pay the vet bill after they had already known about the clinic. They then through a stink about it. and brought the vet into it. I think the vet was a little miffed that he missed out on all those potential farm calls. The fair board then decided to hold the meeting and had the vet there, we brought all the information and pictures that we could find on the disease. they basically just shrugged it off.
    Now i can;t speak for my other 4-h kids, but i can for a few of them that these animals not only cost a great deal of money but they are beloved pets and its frustrating for these kids who have worked so hard to maintain a healthy herd and worked all year for this one fair, to have something like this happen.

woo thanks for letting me vent

beth

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Reading your post, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what was wrong.
    You did a great thing- that group blood drawing thing was of great value to those who really cared about getting tested. I participated in something like that this summer and it was a real money saver for me.
    Was it that the fair meeting should have taken some action and they didn't? Or that they decided that CL was not a problem they should include in allowing animals to enter?

Edited- I found your other post about the cl goat at the fair. You are perfectly right- that other goat could have exposed every other healthy animal to the disease- both at theat time and later on. I suppose people could have even taken the bacteria home with them on their shoes although that's pretty remote.
    I know a lot of people consider CL to be a minor nuisance but one of my very first goats had it so bad that I had to put her down. It shortens the lives of those goatw who have it. No on has the right to decide to expose others to that risk.

3. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    If the problem was the people who did not want to pay their vet bill, that should be between those people and the vet. If the problem was with the vet who felt he lost income because of the clinic, he should not have accepted the clinic assignment. Perhaps having a vet from outside the area do the clinic next year may solve some of the problem. I hope this experience has not caused your club to decide to discontinue such a wonderful service to the people (and goats) who DO appreciate all the work you did. :)

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

We drew the blood ourselves. I think he was miffed because we did that instead of him drawing the blood for 11 dollars a goat plus the farm call and the exam (twenty five dollars per goat) I think he felt he lost a lot of potential money on that one. But personally i can't afford a farm call ($35) plus and exam at $25 dollars per goat for fifteen goats. my biggest question was why xcouldn;'t the memeber of the other 4-h club do the same thing we did. We invited them to join us but they said they would rather have the vet do it. Then when they found out the price of that they threw a coniption fit.
    then to top it all off the let the positive animal into the fair! but yet turned away one of my 4-h kids fitting and showing doe who had had a case of mastitis earlier in the yer. She had a lump that will probably never go away (scar tissue) but she had been aggressivly treaterand the clutures had come back negative for masitis the week before! She was completly dry. She was just thee to be his fitting and showing goat. The vets reaon wa she may still be crrying bacteria that could pass to the other goats. i threw a fit over that one, but i didn't win.
    Its just so frustrating I can't make up these kids minds on whether or not they take their goats to the fair and risk it. That is their decision all i can do is warn them about the risks. But it irritates me to no end that this is what these kids work all yer fo, to show their goats at the local fair. And other people are denying them that privladge.

beth

5. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    What a terrible shame. Do you think the vet denied the entry for the goat with mastitis because he was mad about the clinic? It's sad that as we try to instill in children a sense of responsibility and respect for animals that some so-called "professional" will put personal gain above all else. I hope things work out for your club for next year - whatever they decide to do.

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I would be angry to if someone knowingly let a CL positive goat on the fair grounds...If that happened here I would have loaded up everything and went home. ( I didnt do 4h so I didnt have to worry about that.)

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

oh i was very angry, i don't think a lot of people realized the severity os the situation. And not just in the goat barn, sheep can get it too. And i read somewhere that even horses and cattle can get a form of the disease. So in my opinion the entire thing was a mess. They weren't just putting other goats at risk but the general public and other species of animals as well. My goats ended up not making the trip to that fair, which was a huge disapointment because i normally do really well, and it brings in a lot of sales.

I encouraged anyone that did take animals to test again for the disease a couple of months after fair as well as a couple extra times in the coming year. So fr no one has come back as positive.

beth

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I ,personally, fear CL more than CAE. CL is a nasty nasty disease.

9. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Sara I agree 100% with you. I would much rather deal with CAE anyday then CL.

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Yeah at least you can seperate goats with CAE and take care of them. With CL I'd be worried I'd be carrying the disease on my shoes, skin, hair, anything.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

very much so. I once had a buck pop up CAE positive. I can deal with that. But Cl i would be devastated. When people come to my farm to look at goats i ask them to wear different clothes and shoes what they come to my farm. I also ask that they step in a shallow pan of bleach water.

beth

12. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Me to. I wouldn't keep a CL goat.

13. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    sparks879- Good idea!

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it may be over reacting and some people find it irritating, but i would rather be safe then sorry....

beth

15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Same here.

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Re: other species picking up CL from a goat- my vet swore up and down that it is a species specific disease. He said that universities had even tried injecting goat pus into horses and they did not come down with it. The horse version is called Pidgeon Fever. I do know that people can get it although it is not easy to pass.