The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are hundreds of threads about CL. But I have a specific question that I am trying to find the answer to. Can a 9 week old kid develop a CL abscess? What is the youngest age that CL will develop in a goat?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It isn't my goat but someone who asked me. From what I understand the abscess is on the kids shoulder.
And like you all I thought it was too young to develop an abscess from CL. I also have heard that it doesn't develop until at least 6 months, but I was curious if anyone out there might have had a different experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m curious to this answer as I have 4 kids who are around 4 and 5 months old that were in with one of my goats who tested positive for CL. My kids were born on our farm from parents I’ve had for over a year. My wether who tested positive was newest on the farm. I am worried my kids are going to get it.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
I'm curious to this answer as I have 4 kids who are around 4 and 5 months old that were in with one of my goats who tested positive for CL. My kids were born on our farm from parents I've had for over a year. My wether who tested positive was newest on the farm. I am worried my kids are going to get it.
Unless the wether had a abscess that ruptured it is not likely the kids are positive. Yes there is a small chance that the wether had internal cl and was in the lungs but unless he showed signs of being ill, a chronic wet cough, then I would say they are most likely good. You are almost to that 6 month mark so just deep breaths and wait for them to be tested

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm curious to this answer as I have 4 kids who are around 4 and 5 months old that were in with one of my goats who tested positive for CL. My kids were born on our farm from parents I've had for over a year. My wether who tested positive was newest on the farm. I am worried my kids are going to get it.
I wouldn't worry I raise CL+ goats and my 9 month old doelings that were born and raised here with my CL+goats just tested CL-. If there was no coughing and no pus leaked they are fine!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 2 does that have lumps in the shoulder area that have all been in quarantine. Has anyone Lanced and drained it themselves and treated CL? I’ve read other forum post of people draining there own.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
It’s not going to be any different then lancing and cleaning any other kind of abscess. So if you want you can YouTube or google any abscess and see how it’s done. The only difference is your gonna want to make sure none of it really hits the ground. But the basics of it is you have to first wait for the area to loose its hair. It’s not ready before that especially if it’s CL because the pus will be super thick. So once it reaches that point make sure the animal is totally contained. Get a scalpel, sharp knife (I would use something your ok with tossing after) and either stab the highest point or just on the bottom of the highest point. All you need to do is cut threw the skin. It seems like once it festers (hair falls off) it doesn’t bother the animal much doing this so it’s not as scary as it seems. Then just start pushing and squeezing all the gunk out. I would have a helper and have them handing paper towels and a bag for you to put it in after you catch the pus. You can get a syringe after you get as much as you can out and use either very watered down iodine or saline and flush it out. No needle just put the tip of the syringe in and plunge. If you do that it’s going to be a little more tricky to catch the stuff so try and have a throw away bowl and hold under.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's not going to be any different then lancing and cleaning any other kind of abscess. So if you want you can YouTube or google any abscess and see how it's done. The only difference is your gonna want to make sure none of it really hits the ground. But the basics of it is you have to first wait for the area to loose its hair. It's not ready before that especially if it's CL because the pus will be super thick. So once it reaches that point make sure the animal is totally contained. Get a scalpel, sharp knife (I would use something your ok with tossing after) and either stab the highest point or just on the bottom of the highest point. All you need to do is cut threw the skin. It seems like once it festers (hair falls off) it doesn't bother the animal much doing this so it's not as scary as it seems. Then just start pushing and squeezing all the gunk out. I would have a helper and have them handing paper towels and a bag for you to put it in after you catch the pus. You can get a syringe after you get as much as you can out and use either very watered down iodine or saline and flush it out. No needle just put the tip of the syringe in and plunge. If you do that it's going to be a little more tricky to catch the stuff so try and have a throw away bowl and hold under.
Thank you for the information. The lump hasn't lost any hair yet so I will wait until it does. Has anyone heard of using honey as treatment for cleaning and healing wounds. I will definitely use the diluted iodine! I'm considering using raw honey to help with the healing process I've read of this being a practice of some vets for wounds. Also it has antibacterial properties for fighting bacteria. Any thoughts on using honey or has anyone done so?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I haven't used honey but I have made a homemade healing salve actually for myself, but I ended up using it on our nanny that had to have a C-section. The zipper healed up great. I did not use honey in it, but the base is beeswax, cocoa butter, and shea butter.

My husband puts iodine in the wound as he said he helps get that last bit of CL gunk out of the abscess. I've watched the process and it does seem to work.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
My vet wont test til they are a year old..... says before then it can give a false pos or neg result. If mama is positive for cl pull and bottle the kids cause they can get it from her milk. Lile from the get go... no colostrum from here nadda drop to drink kinda thing.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I'm curious about this too. I have 2 does that are 8 months old, and still have their CDT shot lumps from 3 months old... I'm thinking it's CL too. They're sisters if that matters...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't used honey but I have made a homemade healing salve actually for myself, but I ended up using it on our nanny that had to have a C-section. The zipper healed up great. I did not use honey in it, but the base is beeswax, cocoa butter, and shea butter.

My husband puts iodine in the wound as he said he helps get that last bit of CL gunk out of the abscess. I've watched the process and it does seem to work.
Ok great! Always look forward to feedback as the vets here don't really do much with goats or if they do they aren't as knowledgeable. I think I will try the honey also once it's lanced and rinsed with iodine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm curious about this too. I have 2 does that are 8 months old, and still have their CDT shot lumps from 3 months old... I'm thinking it's CL too. They're sisters if that matters...
All my kids have the lumps in the arm pit area from the CDT but with having CL on my farm I'm not sure. I'm waiting to see if they lose the hair. Have you had CL goats? I was fine until I got 2 from a girl I worked with that bought them as babies and kept them as pets.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
If it's where you have the shot and they have had the little lump for 3 months it's probably not cl. Cl and the cdt shots have nothing to do with each other. But those little injection site abscesses and stay for a LONG time! Last year when I was giving my does their booster, it's always just habit to give in their right armpit and a lot still had a little lump there from either the previous year or maybe even longer and I never noticed.
But from everything I have read it's 6+ months that you can draw blood and test for cl. Or if they are in fact something other then a injection abscess send a sample of the pus in. I'm not sure exactly how to do that without a vet though. Any questionable abscesses I have had a vet drain and send out. Which I need to figure that out because I only have gone threw a vet so if it's not cl I know what bacteria to treat for but so far they only test for cl and that's a bit expensive going threw them :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts